What are your thoughts on this mower? Jacobsen Tri-King Reel mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by columbia, Sep 18, 2009.

1. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

That's a finish mower made to cut grass very short. You don't want to hit anything with it or you'll spend a fortune to get the blades fixed.

3. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

That is wonderful for yards with zoysia and bermuda ONLY! You have to topdress the yard perfectly and make sure you have no rocks, sticks, or any other foreign objects out there. If you hit something your looking at a few hundred dollars of grinding IF your LUCKY. You may just have to buy an entire new reel, and that is major money. But i am going to wind up with one in a year or so. I am currently looking at walk behind reels. They are LOTS of money to keep up and maintain. Lots of work. Needs to be backlapped pretty often and sharpened atleast once per season.

4. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's right, reel mowers are for grasses that are supposed to be cut real short.

I don't even want to know what it would cost to have all those reels sharpened. :eek:

5. lot0210

lot0210 LawnSite Member

I worked on a golf course and used this exact mower several times. It is an excelent mechine but if you do not sharpen the reels and bed knives once a day you can do horrible damage to the grass especaly when mowing as short as these mowers do. Also I think the max hight on these is only about 1.5 to 2 in so ya only bent zoysia and bermuda

6. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Once a day... wow that is a bit much in my opinion but golf courses have to have everything grade A++++. I am just going to sharpen mine each season. It cost 100 dollars to have a 30 inch 7 blade reel ground professionally in my area. Prices go up when you have more blades such as a 10 blade or 8 blade. I am in the market for a JD 2653A and either a tru-cut, locke, or legacy walk behind reel too. Finding information on reel mowers is about like pulling teeth. You can find more information on the Golf superintendent than on here. That is what i found.

7. CAROLINALAWNMAN1

CAROLINALAWNMAN1 LawnSite Member

backlapped and cut usually around $70