What are your views, opinion, pros and cons on having a 1800 vanity number?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by honeydopm, Nov 5, 2010.

1. honeydopm

honeydopm LawnSite Senior Member

Im just wondering what people thing about having one and what the pros and cons are. Have you gained business and exposure for your company or was it a waste of money? Id like to hear any opinions from business owners who have them or just people opinions in general.

2. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you going to go state to state mowing? Probably wouldn't be high on my priority list.

3. honeydopm

Im not doing state to state mowing im talking about some of the vanity numbers these companies offer.

4. GunnPropertyServices

GunnPropertyServices LawnSite Senior Member

i dont really see any use for it in this business, you dont have that many ppl calling from out of town, it also makes you look like a franchise, not a local owned company. Local owned companies is what alot of ppl look for.

5. honeydopm

Im not talking about gaining out of town business. Maybe i worded my post wrong, im talking about the 1855 lawn cut and the 1800 mow my lawn where you buy into there number but for your area.

6. TheGoat

TheGoat LawnSite Senior Member

there is not much point to toll free numbers when most people have free long distance.

7. honeydopm

You guys are missing the point-im not talking about using a 1800 vanity number for cost reasons or to gain out of area customers. The point is to use it as a marketing tool so you have a number that is easy to remember and catchy ie: 1800 MOW MY LAWN

8. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Just so you know you can request a number from your local phone company so that it goes along with a catchy phrase. As to the 1800-mow-my-lawn thing i think i personally would use that money elsewhere in my marketing program. JMO but the 800-mow-my-lawn seems to be something you could probably do yourself a lot cheaper.

9. GunnPropertyServices

GunnPropertyServices LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i get it and replied

10. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

You dont need a 1-800 to have a vanity number. You can use a local number but it might be harder to get the wording you want.

I had a 1-800 and no on called it. Always my local. People like local, hometown companies; at least in the suburbs in my area.

Also its easier to dial if its just the numbers. Some people get confused when you want them to call 1-800-mow-lawn. They don't always realize that its 669-5296.

I'd recommend getting a number like 555-555-1212 or 555-555-1111. It's easy to remember and you don't need to look for the letters on the phone (my cell doesn't have them unless you use the onscreen numberpad vs the regular keyboard. And I always use the keyboard because it's easier than going into the menu and what not.)