what arerator have you found to do the best job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KDLAWN, Sep 6, 2004.

1. KDLAWN

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

hey guys.. I'm from Alabama and rented aerator (ryan pluger) the other day and was not too impressed with it.. I thought it should have pulled deeper pluggs than it did.. (it pulled 1 to 2 in maybe 2.5in.) it this correct or should it have pulled deeper plugs..
    I tried the PLUGR arerator out last year at the EXPO in KY and thought it did a great job.. I was wanting to rent a PLUGR but they did not have one. but just wanted yalls thoughts about it.

Also the PLUGR was alot more user friendly in the way it worked.. I was impressed with the machanics or this machine..

2. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Got a Plugr last year and your right about the user friendly aspect of it. Since you have demo one, then buy one. I have used other aerator brand models and the Plugr works for me. Do a search and you will find alot of information.

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Ryan is the best i have found they tend to have a heavy center the older ones are cast iron. Plugs should be about 1.5 to 2.5 inches. Depending on the moisture content of the soil.

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I also use Ryan aerators for the most part. We have had a Bluebird also but I wasn't as impressed with it. Seemed like it took more effort to use.

5. jbequer

jbequer LawnSite Member

Has anyone heard of a product that is applied with a hose atatcment that claims to aerate soil.It comes as liquid and is diluted with water.Some golf courses actualy use it. I was woundering if anyone has heard of it? By Natur,s lawn copy/past https://ssl.cgicafe.com/clients/nat...com/aerify.html

6. jbequer

jbequer LawnSite Member

It appears that my favorite aeration method is under discussion here. It always raises a temptest in a teapot....but, here goes. We are talking about our old friend, surfactants/wetting agents. Does this approach work? From my years of experience, yes....if done correctly. First, let me explain that there are a number of various surfactants on the market hidden under brand names that do not spell out what they are. The straight forward, organic one that I have used for years can be purchased on-line from www.nitron.com. It is listed in the catalog as Nitron/A-35. This product is poured full strength into a hose end sprayer set to deliver one tablespoon per gallon. Easy to do. A gallon will last a long time for the average lawn/garden.
    Let's discuss the various types of soil compaction:

1. There is normal soil compaction such as that left by heavy construction equipment. In this case, topsoil is usually added and grass seed or sod put in place. If a surfactant is used one time to water in the seed or sod and repeated several months later this usually will restore a normal, compacted friable soil. It will also aid seed germination and sod root development.

2. Next, the average lawn which needs areation once a year or every other year. If the soil is presently friable, draining well, then an annual surfactant application in mid to late summer and again in early spring is sufficient.

3. Now we come to our real problem lawn...ucky, thick clay soil. Here, fall top dressing coupled with a monthly surfactant application for a year, then every other month the next year, then four times a year thereafter is the method that has given me the best results.

4. Southern growers of Centipede, St. Augustine, etc. run into the problems of grass patches dying out and refusing to fill in again. Once it is determined that the problem is not Brown Patch then I suggest that a monthly surfactant application to those spots until grass is growing well again.

5. Surfactants aid plants in absorbing and utilizing both chemical and organic plant foods. Usually it is possible to reduce the amount of these products a bit when using surfactants in conjuction with them.

So, to answer the original question posted....using my experiences over the years, liquid surfactants do work. I would suggest that you purchase one marked organic so that you may also use it on vegetable gardens with various hard pan/clay soils, if you wish.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Just picked mine up a couple weeks ago. I havent started up aerating, but scheduling them now.

Plugr2.jpg

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've got 2 plugr aerators. Have a few years on them now without any problems other than regular wear items.

Plugr2.jpg

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I own a Ryan and have had know problems with it.

10. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

they look very light weight, can they get into hard soil?