what background plant goes with harbor dwarf nandinas?I

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by midlandlawncare, Nov 29, 2010.

1. midlandlawncare

midlandlawncare LawnSite Member

Im planning a simple landscape for a maint. customer. He has a few overgrown "contractor" bushes that will be pulled out and Im having trouble coming up with a design I like ,however I have decided my front tier bushes to be harbor dwarf nandina's and i was thinking about frost proof gardenias behind them ,Im just worried the leaves on both will conflict. What about large lorepetulums on the back?Any good idea's?:waving:
  2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

you are totally different zoning, but there is something nice about the way hypericum perforatum goes with nandina. I usually go with large nandina in the back though. Sort of a risky combo up here, but it has worked for me.
  3. LizzieLandscapes

LizzieLandscapes LawnSite Member

Go to the nursery and put the 2 plants together, see if you like the way they look. Using plants with foliage that have different textures is a real good thing, not a bad thing, so don't be afraid of doing it.

What to be concerned about is using certain colors that will conflict in a landscape.
  4. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

how tall of a background? ive always had good luck with nandina / juniper mixtures