1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What backpack blower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Supper Grassy, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Before you all bash me and say look it it its been posted 100's of times, well i know. I am looking to buy a new backpack blower.

Brand doesn't matter
    Price i would say $300-$400 But if i need to spend more i will

Could someone tell me what brand and model they like and/or use and would also reccomend
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Out of the main brands, get the most powerful one and you won't have to regret it...
    If you need to skimp because you're on a budget then skip the handheld for later, but get the most powerful backpack.
    You can use the backpack season round, it can certainly do anything the handheld can, bit heavier but...
    I didn't have a handheld until my 5th year, it's nice to have for sure but you don't need it, the backpack you do.

For leaves, it literally boils down to (how many) cubic feet you can move, per minute (cfm).
    The less you can move the longer it takes, a weak backpack eats time, take all day to do one yard worth of leaves.
    I like to have a minimum of 1,000 cfm's (200mph), unfortunately backpacks only get close, but 700+ cfm's at 190-200mph is decent.

I personally recommend the Stihl br-600 (just over 400 unfortunately, but most will be).
  3. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok thanks for the tip

With that said is $500 more reasonable of a budget?
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

500 should cover it with change left over, I don't remember the exact price but I think 450 should get it out the door tax and all (don't quote me on it, but it shouldn't be over 450 before tax either, I don't think).

See that's what did it for me, you have to spend at least 300 to even get one, then for 1.5x the money you get at least twice the blower. I have a br-420 and a br-550, they both sux compared to the 600, I don't even use them anymore, sad but true.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an echo PB-610. Shoudl run you about $420.00. I love it
  7. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I have a shindawia eb8510 and I love it.
  8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Shindaiwa EB630 has been a workhorse for me. It is also small enough to use for everyday mowing/blowing jobs.
  9. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

EMJ- Did your shindaiwa run close to $600?
  10. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

In Terms of raw power for clean up's on a big jobsite, the Redmax 8100 is top of the line ( set me back just over 617 tax included). My Echo 755's (very good for general purpose and medium sized clean-ups)ran 455.