what blade/deck height on bermuda?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dura to the max, Jun 25, 2008.

1. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

ive got to cut a large lawn tommorow that is bermuda. i have the 48" tthp. what is the best blade/deck height to get the best cut on the lawn. ive been cutting it for several weeks and the customer is pleased, but im not too impressed w/ the cut. any suggestions?

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

2 to 3, its likes to be cut low, but if you cut it too short, then all the green will be gone, but will grow back in time.

3. dura to the max

from georgia

i should have mentioned that i meant what blade to use. i had the exmark mulchers on there, but the dealer only had gators when i got new ones the other day. any ideas before i cut it? and by 2 or 3 i assume you meant the deck holes? i guess ill try it in the 3rd from the top tomorrow, ive cut it on 2 and havent been pleased. i checked the tire psi and put new blades on it....i should be good right? or should i use a different blade?

4. billslawn89

at what height are you cutting now? i cut with gators and they work fine..as long as they are sharp! 2 inches or 3 inches.

5. dura to the max

from georgia

ive been cutting it on the 2nd hole. i dont know how that converts to inches, but its what i like my st augustine and centipede at. my tires were off slightly, i think that all that was the matter, but i wanted to get some feedback b/c its really frustrating for me to leave the lawn like that, even if the customer is happy.

6. billslawn89

i cut st augustine at 5 inches, that would be kinda high for bermuda,..set your deck at which ever hole and measure your blade from the floor to your blade tip and that will tell you your height

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think he meant 2-3 inches. Any time you take off more than 1/3 of the grass blade you stand a good chance of the lawn turning yellow or even brown. I don't see how much difference a gator or mulcher blade would make.

8. dura to the max

from georgia

no $#!t? i know that, just looking for experience on bermuda w/ the tthp. im getting very tired of leaving it w/ streaks. cant keep playing around on this yard. it has awesome potential. ill raise the deck some tomorrow over what i have been cutting at. you cut st augustine at 5"? ive never cut it that high, how well does it stripe like that?

9. dura to the max

from georgia

i meant the 2nd or 3rd hole on the exmark floating deck. i havent been too impressed w/ the gator blades on this mower so i just thought i'd ask how they cut on bermuda.

10. billslawn89

what it sound like to me, you are cutting bermuda too high. not too many stripes at 5 inches on st. augustine, but nice and green! i see others cut it lower and looks yellow! :dancing: