What blade sharpener/grinder to get??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DoetschOutdoor, May 7, 2008.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I am only running 2 mowers this year but the blades are needing sharpening at least once a week. I just dont think Im getting as good of a cut with my self sharpened blades I do on a bench grinder. Taking them to a local dealer will end up costing me $6/blade plus lost time driving across town. I dont think I need the best sharpener but I'd like to get something that will last and do a better job than my bench grinder. What would you guys recommend?

2. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I use a metal file.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a magna matic,itz top.i have a magna matic and lesco neary for sale pm me D

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have a leary but swear by the magna matic after demoing one.

5. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Magna-Matic all the way---MAG-8000 can also do mulching blades, balancer, and the stand.

6. cbegap

cbegap LawnSite Member

I talked to the guy that mows the local UPS lawn and he uses a 12" bench sander with 36 Grit aluminum oxide pads. He said he likes it because the table tilts to 30 degrees and he can get the entire cutting edge on the pad at one time so it comes out super straight. The table is really large which supports the blade which helps avoid the blade "dip" some people complain about when using blade sharpeners. One of the reasons Magna Matic came out with an extended base for one of their machines.

7. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a Dewalt angle grinder yesterday from Lowes.....$54.99

8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Angle grinder for me, also. :usflag:

9. stewartje

stewartje LawnSite Member

I think it is good to get the blades done once in a while by the shop and it is worth the money. In between, I also use an angle grinder. To make sure they are close to balanced, I put the blade on a nail in my garage. If it tips to one side or the other, I run the grinder over the heavy side another time or two. I try to finish the sharpening with a file to make sure that I have all the burrs off so they don't tear the grass.

10. mes9979

mes9979 LawnSite Member

how much for magna matic and what kind of shape is it in.