1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what blades are best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liberty Lawncare, Aug 21, 2004.

what blade is best?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2004.
  1. High lift

28 vote(s)
  2. Meg mo's

3 vote(s)
  3. Gator mulchers

17 vote(s)
  4. Other?

12 vote(s)
  1. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would appriciate to know what blades everyone likes best. I have only used high lift blades and was interested in the Gator mulchers and meg mo's. Thanks for your advice.
  2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I like regular lift blades during the cutting season. Then I switch to Gator blades for leaf season. I don't care for high lifts. As it is I get too much grass on the top of the deck. Never tried meg-mo blades. 54" Bunton wb.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

high lifts for me but never tried meg-mow or gator magnums.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

That is a tuff question. I dont use meg mo so I cant comment on them. I use low lift, high lift , and gators. I use gators alot and I dont mulch, but they seem to cut the grass some what finer than a regular balde. This week with the rain and heavy dew I couldnt use the gators, seemed all they wanted to do was clump. I went back to a low lift balde and got better results. This has been a hard year for me and blades, seems I have to change for the conditions alot more then in past years
  5. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

I use meg-mo blades and like them. Only problem is they create so much more wind/lift that my stock exmark bag can't handle it. I had to go to a off market metal catch. Hard on the back.
    I do get a sh--load of clumping in the wet though but it seems the same as with the stock blades.
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I use Meg Mo blades on my 757s and can mow in wet conditions no problem. High lift blades do ok, but they don't scatter the clippings out nearly as far as the Meg Mo blades. Low lifts and gators, I have never tried so can't comment on them.

IMPACT LawnSite Member

Raptors all around here. Best blades for our setups I have tried. I would say my second favorite would be Gator Magnums. Haven't tried the Meg Mo's on the Standers yet, so don't know. I'm going to look at them again at Expo.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it depends on the season: during mowing prime time, high lights, but during early spring and fall I would say gators
  9. i use exmark excaliber high lift's spring summer ..fall i put on gator mag's forv leaves.

I gonna try raptors if i can get a hold of some dealer has'nt come uo with any for my toro z's
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I run gators on my standers. Double gators in the spring to deal with the heavy growth we get.