1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What blades do you prefer?....and WHY?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithco Lawncare, Apr 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Smithco Lawncare

Smithco Lawncare LawnSite Member

I currently use Wright high lift blades (stock) on my mowers. I am not very happy about how fast they wear. It seems that they are dull the day after I sharpen them. I just wanted to hear some insight on which blades wear/perform the best? Thanks

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

did you try picking up the sticks and twigs before you mow the yard?

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Try some Fusion blades. Seem to keep an edge a bit longer for me.

What are you using to sharpen your blades? IMO, if the beveled angle is off (to sharp) you will loose the edge faster. I personally dont try for that razor edge but leave like a .05mm blunt edge.

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

mick is right, the angle needs to be correct like the factory edge. we learned over the years and it does make a dif. plus, those stock thin blades are weak. get fusion or the thicker blades. also, we sharpen blades every day as they ARE dull after one day with us. mow a lot of lawns. every 8-10 hrs sharp blades

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

That is the key. We sharpen blades very sharp and then dull them back a bit with a file. Razor sharp will fold over when hitting the smallest objects.