What blades to use?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by huntw11871, Sep 6, 2007.

1. huntw11871

huntw11871 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a Mini Z 52IN cut model#927236. I want to know what blades are out there for it. Could you all so tell me what each blade is good for. One more thing and I will leave you alone, the blades that came on my mower leaves some weeds un-cut and i have to go back and trim them down with my echo. Thank you Jason

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here are your blade options, they are self explaining.

FasTrak/MiniZ/Super Mini Z 52 side discharge 783753, standard lift, stock blade on the Fastrak
    FasTrak/MiniZ/Super Mini Z 52 side discharge / deck mounted catcher 787721, this is a high lift blade
    FasTrak/MiniZ/Super Mini Z 52 mulching 794198, this is a wavy mulching blade
    FasTrak/MiniZ/Super Mini Z 52 mulching 785436, this is a Gator brand mulching blade
    Mini Z/Super Mini Z 52 side discharge 795526, this is the Fusion blade that comes stock on the Mini Z and Super Mini Z.

As to missing grass....
    You need to check a few things...
    Blade sharpness
    Deck pitch and levelness
    Belt tension
    Engine RPM's
    Deck clean of packed grass?
    These all can contribute to what your experiencing.

3. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

Hey PJ

Good answer!!! I have the same question for my 25/52 Super Z (I think 2004 model - has the smaller discharge opening).

I bag a lot and it currently seems to do a good (not super great) Job. I use stock blades. I was wondering how some High lofts would work or some gators???

Thanks
    frank

4. huntw11871

from NC

FasTrak/MiniZ/Super Mini Z 52 side discharge 783753, standard lift, stock blade on the Fastrak
    FasTrak/MiniZ/Super Mini Z 52 side discharge / deck mounted catcher 787721, this is a high lift blade
    FasTrak/MiniZ/Super Mini Z 52 mulching 794198, this is a wavy mulching blade
    FasTrak/MiniZ/Super Mini Z 52 mulching 785436, this is a Gator brand mulching blade
    Mini Z/Super Mini Z 52 side discharge 795526, this is the Fusion blade that comes stock on the Mini Z and Super Mini Z.

5. huntw11871

from NC

The blades you said I can use what does each of them help with? Like the standard lift blades help you do what? All the things to check is good I look after the mower really well so that is not the problem. But I need more info on each of the blades. Thanks Jason

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

What catcher are you using?
    If it is our catcher with a blower I would stick with the stock blades or Fusions, maybe some Gators to shred up the grass and leaves a bit more before they get packed into the hopper.
    If your using a side mounted catcher (Grass Gobbler type, no blower) then I would run the high lift blade on the discharge side only and Fusions on the middle and left.
    Hope this helps.

Pj

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

They need to be checked no matter how well you take care of the mower, double check them or have the dealer do it please.
    The blades are self explanatory...
    Gators and mulching blades are for mulching.
    The Fusions are the stock blade on your mower, they should be the perfect blade for you for side discharging.
    The high lift blade would be for more airflow, such as needed for a side mounted catcher as I described in the above post.

Pj

8. huntw11871

from NC

They need to be checked no matter how well you take care of the mower, double check them or have the dealer do it please.
    The blades are self explanatory...

The first answer I got did not cover everthing. I didn't know what the other blades do? So I asked because the blades are not self explantory. I would not ask if they were or all of the other people on this site. I don't need a dealer to tell me about the settings I have checked them allready and they are fine. The problem was the the first post was not read well or just didn't answer all of my questions.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I didnt mean to sound like a smart a$$, sorry.....
    What is your blade pitch? and is the left to right level?
    I just want to make sure we have a base to go from when trying to find the reason behind your cutting issue.
    Once we eliminate a few items from the list we can narrow down the problem.

10. huntw11871

from NC

I am not sure what the blade pitch is sorry. The left in right is good. The problem is not that it is strip of grass or anything like that. It is dandelions. It will leave them every time. Most of my yards this summer has had them and it is a pain to go back and trim them down. So what I was trying to find out is what blades are good for what. I read in your post that gator blades mulch for the most part. The high lift ones pull more of a vacuume on the grass? What does the wavy mulchers do that the gator don't? I think you have a better picture to go by this time sorry for the misunderstanding on the other posts. Please help!!!! Thanks Jason