1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What Blades to use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Jan 19, 2004.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 52" Scag Walk Behinds one with a 17 HP Kawi and one with a 20 HP Kohler. I do not bag or mulch so i need a really good blade to get at clean cut. I get a lot of tall grass and I don't want to leave any clippings.

What are the best blades to use and where is the best place to buy them from?

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I like a stock blade below a gator, They are crossed, stands the grass up real good without excessive blowby. I think that means six blades for your setup.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with a medium lift if its damp/wet and a high lift when its dry. In the fall when the grass slows down and leaves start up I would run a gator mulching blade.

You may be tempted to run gators all the time but they will clump when it gets wet.

Jimbo

4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I side discharge.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I caught that and edited accordingly.

6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades. They will cut the grass very fine and blow it out with no lump or clumps

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep, what Meg Mo said. Here is a pic of the Meg Mo blades on a John Deere 757.

meg mo blades.jpg

8. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Are those Meg Mo blades difficult to sharped. Also how do you sharpen them. Never used them and would like to learn more about them from people who used them in the field.

Thanks
    Rob

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

No, not difficult at all to sharpen. I just use a air powered disc sander.

10. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I run stock blades with gators on top, I have a scag 36" and it does a good job for me.