What brand do you recommend ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawncuttin, Feb 28, 2006.

1. lawncuttin

lawncuttin LawnSite Member
    from Dalas

Hello all, basically im starting a lawn business next month (got laid off two months ago)

I was wanting to know what type of brands you guys recommend ?

I am taking my small 401k check which is $2,732.00 and going into the business with this, im mostly going to focus on residential lawns but if i get a job mowing a larger business lawn or home i will just rent a larger mower for a day or so.

This is what im planning on buying,

Trailer - Is being built, cost $1050.00

I have about $1600.00 left after trailer, so wanted to know what brand of equipment works best ?

I was looking into getting (1) John Deere 21" with the casters and also seen that Cub Cadet has a simular model, which is best ?

What types of trimmers, blowers get the most bang for the buck ?

Homelite, Echo, etc ?

Im my area 98% of the lawns have landscaping/walkways so a swivel mower would work best for me. Most lawns around here are small since homes are so close together.'

Was going to buy,
    (1) Self-Prop Mower
    (1) Push Mower
    (2) Weedeaters Big/Small
    (1) Blower Backpack or Regular
    (1) Edger
    Plus other tools needed.

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

do not get a cub cadet, they are made by MTD and won't hold up well to commercial use. i have read some bad reviews on them and other people on this site will tell you that out of personal experience. john deere's are good as long as you get a commercial mower, snapper pro is another one and so is lawnboy.

for trimmers, blowers, and edgers, homelite is a home user model hence the name homelite (used lightly at home). echo is a good brand, but so is stihl.

good luck,
    mike

3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Comparing 2-cycle equipment brands is like the old Ford vs. Chevy debate. Each one is going to do the job just fine and every user is going to have a difference in opinion, here's mine.....

Several of the top brands would include:
    Echo
    Stihl
    Redmax
    Shindaiwa

Slighly down the list would include:
    Tanaka
    Kawasaki
    Toro
    Troy Built
    Honda
    Maruyama
    Husqvarna

Bottom of the list would include:
    Homelite
    Ryobi
    Weed Eater
    Craftsman
    and anything with a cord or battery

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

OK, here is what I would purchase with the remaining 1600 that you have. This is all commercial equipment and prices are ESTIMATED. I also recommend you find a equipment dealer that is in your area, DO NOT BUY equipment from home depot.

1) JX 75 *John Deere commercial grade walkbehind mower. This will cost around 850 without swivel wheels.
    2) Stihl fs 100rx trimmer. Approx. 400$
    3) Stihl fc 100 edger. Approx 350$
    4) Stihl br 500 blower. Approx 400$

Total of all of this comes to around 2000$. I realize that this may blow your budget but you need to buy commercial equipment. Not sure about dealers in your area but my main dealer has an in-house financing program and will also allow you to put items on your account for a small surcharge. We have all tried the homelite crapsman and all other brands, they will not hold up and will cost you much more money and heartburn in the long run. JMO

5. seacoastlandscape

seacoastlandscape LawnSite Member

You def want to go with commercial grade to start out with. Like everyone said it'll turn into more of a headache and you'll find yourself replacing the crap you bought from sears or Lowe's in a year. As far as 2stroke I run all echo, my dealer is good and I haven't had any major problems with any of the stuff, plus a 2year warranty is nice to have. Look into bying a used commercial walk behind, I dont know how large your properties are but a 48 inch deck can handle some large areas, it turns into a pain renting equipment every week. I started out with a 48 inch scag walk behind and still use it to this day, you can find some acouple years old for around 1000 or so. You'll get sick of mowing with a 21 inch push or self propelled real fast. If you think you are going to pick up enough acounts def look into your financing options, I paid my zero turn off in the first month of the season with no interest.

6. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

John Deere + Stihl outdoor power equipment from a JD dealer!!:usflag:

7. lawncuttin

lawncuttin LawnSite Member
    from Dalas

Thanks to those who responded.

To those recommending buying commercial equipment i understand, however i dont want to over-invest in this business in case it does not work out like i planned. I want to start out spending what i planned on spending to start out with. Down the line 6-12 months if i begin to see a profit and i am sure i will be able to get by with the money i make then i will take the leap and upgrade to the top of the line commercial equipment. I have $10,000 in my savings in the bank however i would not invest in this business that much to begin with. I just wanted to see what brands i could get my moneys worth out of.

Living in Dallas the market is oversaturated with those "$20 or Less" lawn care business cards, thats why im not looking to invest a whole lot to begin with.

You def want to go with commercial grade to start out with. Like everyone said it'll turn into more of a headache and you'll find yourself replacing the crap you bought from sears or Lowe's in a year.

I agree, however if things go as planned out i will upgrade all equipment within the first year.

8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Why would you waste your money twice? Buy it rite the first time so you don't have to go through buying real equipment the second time

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that's a pretty tight budget..
    a good commercial 21" is $1K
    then each commercial handheld is $300 each.

DO NOT TRY AND SAVE AND BUY HOMELITE ETC.....

only buy commercial, it will save you money down the road.

10. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

First off try to get out of that trailer deal its a bad move with that budget. If you think about it their is not that much that can go wrong with a well maintained used trailer. On the other hand the two stroke equipment can have u looking like a fool pulling them a million times in the customers yard to try to get them running( we have all be their at on time or another ). So take the others advice and go with new stihls, echos or similar brand. You might also what to look into a trimmer that takes the attachments it will save you some money if you need a edger too. I'm not sure why people don't understand that if you were to invest say 10k in equipment and things didn't work out depending on what you bought you could probably sell it the next year and get 75% of your money back.