what brand / model?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KY_XB2003, May 21, 2006.

1. KY_XB2003

KY_XB2003 LawnSite Member
    from KY

I am buying a house with a 5 acre yard. I plan on purchasing a ZTR but I dont know much about them and not sure what brand. What I have seen around here mostly is cub cadet, huskvarna, torro, and John Deere. Are they all about the same? Also, I have seen them at places like Lowes or Home Depot for about 3000.00 but at the dealers, they are about 6000.00. Someone told me that the ones you see at Lowes, Home Depot, TSC, etc, are not the rwal thing, but are made by TDK or something like that, and are not of the same quality. Obviously I want to spend as little as possible, but I dont want to buy something that will be broke down in a year either. Any advice?

2. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

hire a lawn care company

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Just doing your yard? I would shop at home depot. get a john deere tractor or somthing, definetly a ride on lol.

4. KY_XB2003

from KY

Ha Ha......good answer!!!
    I wanted to come back and add that I will only be using this on my own lawn, so I dont know if that would play a part in the advice you all offer. If I did decide to hire it out, about what should I expect to pay? Its a relatively flat and open 5 acre lot.

5. KY_XB2003

from KY

Freddy, are you suggesting I just but a lawn tractor and not ZTR, or get a lesser cost ZTR?

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

for a homeowner, i would get either a cub cadet or a john deere ZTR, but for residential use, the cub cadets probably offer the best mower to money ratio. good luck mowing. and you will pay at least $250/cut at the lower end of the rates to have it done professionaly. so lets see, $250 a cut times 25 cuts per year is over $6200, i would do it your self.

7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I would personally suggest you buy a decent used commercial quality machine like an Exmark or the like. you can get em used for fairly decent prices I bet, and even when beat on, they'll last a homeowner for practically the lifetime of the owner.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'd do 5 acres for $230 a pop, but he's right, you can get a used Walk-behind if you have to order a velke (they do make sit-down models but they are dangerous on a WB), it costs you between 1500 - 2000 for all that and I bought my first 3 mowers used, any one of them cut well over 500 yards before it crapped out, the '98 is still in service and has cut over a thousand yards under me.
    I do have an '05 model but with my '98 Toro 48" Wb, I'd get your 5 acres cut in just over 4 hours flat out, double cut.
    5 hours total with weed-eating.

Or get a homeowner's Z, I think they go for around 4-5 grand, I'd suggest Toro.

9. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

i would suggest a simplicity conquest garden tractor.
    will give you the best cut, most comfort.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What lowes or HD have on their floor is still Husky or Toro but they are Homeowner models and will not hold up to the 8 hour a day work that we use them for - but for you and only your home they will work find (the stuff you see for 7-10K at a dealers lot is commercial equipment and worth it for us) For that size lot a Toro time cutter would work well and would be faster than a Lawn or Garden tractor but the tractor will give you more options of additional equipment to use with it. I would stay away from walk behinds for that as it is much easier to sit to cut your yard and a lot easier on your legs and knees.

But no matter what you get you will spend 2-4 hours cutting that grass. Sure it is cheaper to buy equipment and do it your self but at what cost for your time-- If you make 10 dollars an hour-- cut away-- If you make 100+ an hour pay to have it done. Just more to think about?????