what brand of backpack blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by littlepopelp, Nov 20, 2001.

1. littlepopelp

littlepopelp LawnSite Member

Right now i have a one year old POS john deere BP40 backpack blower. The thing rarely starts, always shuts off, goes through spark plugs...ect. It just went out of warranty even though they never fixed the prblem, they just kept replacing spark plugs. I would say it is a lemon.

Im looking to get a new bp blower that is extremely powerfull, will last me a while, and will start always and run good. Price is really no object. SO im wondering what you would recomend that is top of the line, and that you like from experience. The one im looking at is the redmax Backpack EB7000.

Thanks for any input
  2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

well the stihl br400/420 is by far the most popular here and i have 2. they cost about $420 including tax and work well and i havent had a real big problem that wasnt fixed in under 10 min under warranty. if you are looking at the ed7000 from redmax i know that echo has a similar one the pb 650? i believe and that is about $450 as well as the new kawaski available at lesco. both these blowers are almost identical to the redmax. find a good dealer and try these backpacks out, wear them for a while, look at engine and fan accesibility, gas tank size and where it is located throttle assembly(tube or other side). there are many choices out there,but these are the most powerful. the stihl 420 is lighter, cheaper and works pretty well and it has a tbe mounted throttle which is a must for us. shop around. also do a search on backpack blowers because there were 3 about 4 weeks back. good luck with your purchase and go blow some leaves.
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Geez, we buy our Stihl BR 420 for $318.00 including tax in the Chicago area.

Even locally at the hardware storem they're listed at $ 359.00.

~Good blower.

I "still" prefer an Echo 650. More soup.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Redmax 7000 and it is a blast...LOL! I am not a small guy and it fits me just fine. Not too heavy either. Also starts first pull, runs purrrrrrfect, and it really puts out the air. Good size gas tank. Of course I got an awesome deal on it and wish I could find another like it for what I paid. I am looking into the Solo just for a backup blower. We only have a hand held for backup and want another backpack. I will probably just save my penny's and get another redmax. I hope this help you with your desicion.
  6. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well I can say I have both echo an stihl 400 blowers
    I like the SSSSSSSSSSStihl the best more stronger.
  7. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

We run a poulan pro b/p blower the model is br400 i belive and its the one at Lowes and it has a kawaski engine. Boy this thing is powerful compared to the homelite backpacker.

8. littlepopelp

littlepopelp LawnSite Member

also the redmax claims it is 730cfm- is that with or without the tube?

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I use a Poulan Pro unit also. Got it new on e-bay for $200 shipped!
    Can't compare it to anything as I haven't tried any other BP's, but I can say that it does what I need it to, and it does it just fine.

Crazygator, not sure what the Solo units go for $, but if you're looking for a less expensive back up unit, you might want to consider the Poulan Pro.
  10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

stihl br400