What brand of oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walk behind, Apr 9, 2004.

1. walk behind

walk behind LawnSite Member

We will be using our new TTHP 17 hp Kaw Exmark again today for the 2nd time for about 2 hours.......so it will have about 4 hours on it when we are done. We plan on changing the oil the next time we mow (6 hour mark). The book states to change the oil after 8 hour break-in and I was wondering if it is okay to do it after the 6 hour mark or do we need to wait for the full 8 hour mark?

My questions are: do you recommend a certain brand of oil?

We checked with the dealer to see if it was permissible for us to change the oil and he said it would not void the warranty if we did it.

The warranty book did not mention that the oil filter needed to be changed at this time as well......does that sound right?
  2. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

Definately change the oil filter.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use Opti-4 oil. Expensive but well worth the money for the added protection. Saved me a motor once. Yes, change the filter.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I personally use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. If I am not mistaken, Exmarks recommend Opti-4 and if you use anything else while the mower is under warranty, the warranty will not be any good...on the engine. Talk to your dealer.
  5. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I use full synthetic Mobil 1 or sometimes even use Walmart Super Tech Brand full Syn oil. But better put what the manufactor reccomends or your warranty may be void.
  6. chevy1tondualyjd

chevy1tondualyjd LawnSite Member
    from Maine

is there any difference in the brands of oil?
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Its my understanding that you dont want to switch to synthetic until you have broken in your engine... at around 100hrs maybe.

With that being said, i use Opti4
  8. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

There can be a big difference in brands of oil. The oil itself may be the same, but each company formulates different additives for their oil. I personally prefer Amsoil, but I doubt they're any better than any other high quality synthetic. Synthetics will help the engine run cooler, smoother, start easier, etc. But if you're changing the oil regularly, synthetics may be overkill.
    The only thing I would be concerned about with changing the oil sooner than recommended, is sometimes the manufacturer puts a "break-in" oil in the crankcase that has different additives. My and a friend each bought John Deere lawn tractors at the same time. He bought a different model than me though. His did not have any "break-in" additives in it, but mine did. You don't want to take the oil out too soon if it has "break-in" additives in it.

9. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I used Mobil 1 this winter. I would not recommend using it though since there is no Mobil 1 SAE 30 and it is very expensive. Remember that the maintenance schedule as far as oil changes is approximate, so I do't think it would make much difference. I only change my oil filter every 100 hours (which is every other oil change). I would just follow the recommended maintenance requirements.
  10. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about the break in period with synthetic oil, but Corvettes and other high performance vehicles come from the factory with syn oil, with no problems in break in.