What brand reel for Bermuda/paspalum/zoysia

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Yea, i don't blame you. No point in applying chems if the turf is improperly managed. I handle irrigation controls too. Most weeds and fungus are in response to improper irrigation and mowing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If the grass is not green and weed free, guess who's is held responsible? Being that I will be held responsible, I will become the "lawn nazi" much like the "soup nazi".

3. Plantculture

Plantculture LawnSite Member

Greendoc

What is your counter rotating blade machine? I have a patch of diamond zoysia in the shade(~300 sqft) and 500 sq ft of celebration bermuda I am trying to find a better way to mow.
    I mow the bermuda with a rotary but have yet to mow the zoysia since it was gifted to me. I figure I would butcher it with a string trimmer.

4. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I always mowed my zoysia with a Jacobsen lawn queen. A friend in the lawn business uses a Mc lane for the bermuda and zoysia he mows on upscale miami beach yards.

5. greendoctor

Maruyama Landscape Blade or Kawasaki Turbo Blade. Both units are made by the same ironworks in Japan and branded by Maruyama and Kawasaki. It is my observation that both string and rotary mowers butcher warm season grasses.

6. Green a rotary with sharp blades does fine on St Aug, but as you said the rest need a reel. I personally wouldn't purchase that blade until I have accounts with fine turf.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. greendoctor

This machine is also my preferred tool for trimming where one would otherwise use a string. I have the Maruyama version of this machine. It is set up as a multi-tool. I have both the Landscape blade and the stick edger attachment. Surprisingly, I am one of the few people around that use this tool. Same is true of engine drive backpack sprayers.