1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What brand should we switch to?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cgbaseball23, Oct 29, 2007.

What Brand Should we switch to?

1. Rain Bird

19 vote(s)
  2. Hunter

22 vote(s)
  1. cgbaseball23

cgbaseball23 LawnSite Member

Im one of those "long time listener (viewer), first time caller (poster)" situations. I have been reading threads in here for awhile now and havnt really needed to post anything up until i had this question to ask.

Well, we have been irrigating for about 6 years now and have been pretty loyal to Weathermatic products for that time. Although lately, we have been getting very fed-up with Weathermatic products and plan on changing brands for next season. Between going to replace a fried WM Smartline control box, and changing the many failing solenoids, day after day, we decided its time to look somewhere else. However, we are stuck between Rain Bird products, and Hunter Products. We would like to stick completely to one brand, or to the other, but if there is a good enough reason to mix and match a little bit, then we will do so, and if there is a case like that, please post and explain. I understand that this is a very broad question, but consider all the pros and cons of each brand and give an overall opinion. So what should it be, Rain Bird, or Hunter?
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I have nothing against Hunter, others do. Ive never really used Hunter much in the field and I know Rain Bird quite well, so brand loyalty I guess. I have few if any problems with them and there are no recurring problems I have seen...

Until today. Maybe just me, but a couple of solenoid washers have been performing poorly in from the last case I bought... Maybe its just operator error?

I vote RB
  3. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

We use all rain bird products. We have very very few call backs.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I find a mix between Rainbird and Hunter gives excellent results

Hunter PGP's and I-20's
    Rainbird 1800's

Rainbird DVF-100 valves.

Rainbird ESP-M timers.

Hunter swing pipe.
  5. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

I'd recommend Hunter. I've gotten fed up with non-functional RB 5000 series rotors. That is my main gripe about Rain Bird. I like the Hunter's Pro-Spray, PGV valves and Pro-C controllers better than the RB equivalents, but that may just be my personal preferrence.
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I will add you shouldn't necessarily restrict yourself to any one or two brands. Every reputable manufacturer has their specialties and rock solid products. Use products that provide the best fit for the job given the allowance you have. For example, I have had good results with both Hunter ICC and Rainbird ESP, but I wouldn't use one of their ET managers/controllers if you gave it to me.
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

As you can see, youre probably not going to get a definitive answer from this gaggle of geese.
  8. cgbaseball23

cgbaseball23 LawnSite Member

Well maybe not, but it is nice to read other people's experiences with both products, and if anything, it will help me decide which we should use.

Keep the suggestions coming!
  9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Not that it should sway you to any great degree, but if youre torn, check out the rewards programs. Lots of money spent can equal some nice returns from the manufacturer. If all else was equal... Rain Bird is cool, dont know anything bout Hunters.
  10. DW is the closest to me in preferences. Only thing is I would stick with the WM SL controller. Best controller going in that price range in my opinion. What problems are you having with them? What fried the one you had to replace? I've replaced some ESP-Ms and Hunter controllers that had screwed up with the SL.