1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What brand to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Jun 3, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

I am probaly going to be purchasing one of those multi purpose machines which has different attachments for it like a trimmer head and edger which brand should i buy between these three
    ECHO STHIL or SHINDAIWA:confused:
    thanks the rookie
  2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nuff said. :)
  3. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

This is the equivalent to the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate. All three trimmer companies are good and everyone has a favorite.

I really like my split-boom echo. I have the trimmer and the edger heads.

Which dealer is closer and which dealer do you prefer. Try them all and then go for it.
  4. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl and I love it but I want to get an Echo. I never tried Shindaiwa. I would say they are all equal.

hboyd_com what part of PA are you from?
  5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, I'm happy with my Echo, too. Hedge trimmer, cultivator, and chainsaw.......

email trimmers.jpg
  6. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

echo sthil are both the main brands around here and both are useally sold by the same dealer the two are in pactically every power equipment show room around here.

Both are very good equipment ,i love the sthil trimmers and stick edgers and chain saws but the sthil blowers are getting left behind by echo ,shindawa and redmax.

So echo or sthil either one would be my pick because of dealer support.Shindawa and redmax dealers far and in between around here.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i had an echo split shaft, and then it got stolen when they broke into my trailer. i wasnt dissatisfied with my echo, but i decided i was gonna replace it with the stihl. in my opinion, the stihl is way more powerful, and the attachments are a little more rugged. I definately would say i made a good decision and would go stihl over echo.
  8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Have about one thousand dollars worth of Stihl exchangable equipment and I would gladly trade it away for three hundred dollars worth of usable equipment. The power head has gone thru 3 carbs, two modules and a complete short block replacement, is still hard to start and way under powered. This thing is only a couple of monthes old. The dealer support has been top notch, The attachments are great but the power head is about the level of Ryobi. This also goes for the 420c blower and all the other things I have used from this company in the last couple of years. New Echo Dealership with a repair shop opening soon in town and this **** will be gone. Anyone looking to buy some hadly used equipment. (Because it won't start) :confused:
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

For what it's worth, my echo trimmer is about 8 years old and I've done nothing but clean the muffler screen. I guess when you have a product that just "keeps ticking", you don't realize the problems you "could" have.