What brand/type of seed do you use in a transition zone?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by MrC, May 17, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Just planning for the future and was curious what brand/type of seed everyone uses.

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

90% Turf Type Tall Fescue with 10% Kentucky Bluegrass. This blend will be available from most seed companies and works well in the transition zone. The TTTF is very durable, drought resistant and requires lower amounts of fertilizer, but one seed is only one plant. TTTF does not spread bu the clump itself will get larger. The addition of the bluegrass allows the lawn to repair itself as the bluegrass will spread and fill in an bare areas. The TTTF is also reasonably shade tolerant.

Kirk

3. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I tried a blend of fescue, kentucky blue, and ryegrass (Greenview) but it just doesn't do it for me. There are blades that are dark green and thin which look great. I would like my lawn to be like that through out. Any thoughts on which grass it is.

4. Dreams To Designs

You may want to check out the Purdue University site to id which type of turf you prefer.
    http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tool/index.html

Different varieties of the same type of turf can and will look different. For a great mix with very dark color, I like Jonathan Green's Black Beauty TTTF. Bluegrass is often the best looking blend, but it can also be the most difficult in our area. Lesco's Transition blend is ok, but not my favorite. The Pennington Rebel TTTF series are very hardy and have a great appearance.

Kirk

5. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Thanks for the link Kirk!!! I'm going to check out Black Beauty and Rebel. I'm a little confused about TTTF. On one site they show it thin and on other it's thick. Obviously there are different types that will give you different looks. Would Black Beauty and Rebel produce a thin blade? I love my neighbors lawn (DARK, thin, hearty, and SOFT) but he won't share.

I'm looking to overseed in the fall and was planning on aerating but I've been reading about a slit seeder? What is it and what should I do?

Thanks again for the help!!!

6. Dreams To Designs

Aerating is always good, especially if you have clay soil or compacted soil. It will allow water and nutrients to get down to the root zone more easily. With TTTF you should overseed every fall. With the one seed, one plant, any dieback will leave holes in the lawn if you don't overseed regularly.

If you haven't already done so, take some soil samples and have them tested. I prefer to go with some from the front lawn, rear lawn and and large beds separately.The soil test will allow you to focus your efforts in the right direction rather than random opinions.

A slit seeder is a machine that creates a furrow, drops in seed an then rolls over it as you travel around the lawn area. It will dig into any thatch that is present and does a great job of putting the seed in the best position to grow. Irrigation and fertilization are key to healthy turf growth, after the soil has been prepared properly. It is easy to treat the plant, but better to improve the soil.

Kirk

7. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Have you tried the thermal blue? I was at HD the other day and based on the Scotts bag it seems great, but I'm very skeptical.