What bug would do this?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ticolawnllc, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

A customer called me and this is what I found. At first I thought it was worm castings, but the hole is to big:hammerhead: Don't know.:confused:

DSC01298.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01300.jpg

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribed! I would like to know also.

What it appears to be is some sort of over-wintered insect that just emerged for the summer.

3. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

It made a mound like ants. I'm thinking it went in.

4. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Looks like cicada killers ? Check my spelling on this one.

5. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I say worms, nightcrawlers. Particularly if it happened after a heavy warm rain. Dig down a few feet and you may find them. Wear your snake proof boots. Also, take a careful look along the drive and road; you should find a few that tried to cross the pavement and didn't make it. Especially if there is a heavy rain during the day so that worms that come up for air try to cross the sidewalk, but are killed by the hot sun before they get across. Also, there are a few extra large south American worms that occasionally are released up here. most of the dirt has been through the worm--the castings have a uniform diameter and sort of a pelletized appearance.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=worm...s&biw=1680&bih=934&sei=NlpuT-mtMKbi0QGbmv3gBg

My second guess is crayfish--but their hole is about an inch in diameter--and within 20 feet of water.

7. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

Would Cicada killer make that many holes next to each other. The size looks like a good match.

8. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Not sure, lifecycle timing seems off a bit as well, but it does look identicle to what I have seen on a couple of really sandy lawns that I treat. The exit of the burrow usually has a U shaped channel leading to it. I'd like to know also, get the old shovel out and get to diggin ! :confused: Also the diameter of the cicada is about 1/2"

9. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

lol. The customer thought it was termites. I told her I didn't think that was it. Now she doesn't care.

I don't think she will let me dig them out. I'll try to talk to her in to it.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Why did Riggle say to 'wear your snake proof boots'?
    OP is from NJ - might find a garter snake but even that doubtful this early in the year.