What bug would do this?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ticolawnllc, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

It has been 80 degrees all week. Last week it was 75 degrees all week and the lows are in the 50s. I wiped out my short already.

2. speedster

speedster LawnSite Member

I believe Dylox will kill mole crickets.

3. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, they would make a series of holes in that kind of pattern, however I do not believe that cicada killers will dig in established turf, as it appears in the pictures. They need a patch of bare ground (even if it is the size of a quarter) to start digging in.

Also, that mud tube shown in the second picture does not appear to be related to cicada killers.

4. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Im not sure about that mud tube but the mounds look similar to mining bees.

5. gharris1044

gharris1044 LawnSite Member

6. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

I'm split.

I was reading up on bees and They like sandy soil for the nest. that part of the lawn seems very sandy. The fact that this is happening in sandy part of the soil makes me lean toward bees. Crickets wouldn't discriminate on soil would they? one way or the other I'm going to let it go and see what comes of it.

7. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I had originally thought it was digger wasps but did not say so because of the pic of the tube you had....

I just got an update from Cornell U. and I believe you have plasterer bees (Colletes inaequalis)