What can a 1/2 ton truck do?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dave80, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mind having a dually it is just that 43K I dont want to pay. I think I might be able to get a good deal this weekend with all the labor day sales that are going on. I like the long bed cause I can put my bike in the back when I go to Florida. I have a friend that has a single axle dodge 3500 and he said it pulls just like his old dually. Thanks for the info though

:cool:

2. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya, Frosty. Not long ago, my local Chevy dealer had a Chevy Duramax Crew Cab Dually with the LT package in stock. It had every single option and the sticker was almost 48K:eek: . Awesome truck, though. I see you won't be trading in your current truck on a new one. That is a smart move, because the high incentives that the manufacturers are offering really hurt the trade-in values. They say the only way you can make out well is to go into the deal with no trades. Best of luck, and I hope you find a truck that you like.

3. Frosty_03

The one I test drove had everythingon it too it was a two wheel drive, but Potts like you said it had all the bells and whistles. The inside of the cab is a lot larger than a Dodge 4 door. Oh did I mention it had four real doors. Yea thanks on all the info and if I get it or should I say when I get I will post some Pictures.Later Dude:cool:

4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Frosty, I'm not trying to start another truck war, but if I were going to buy a new truck, I'd buy nothing but the Dodge/Cummins. I've had great luck with my'97 F350 Powerstroke, and I've not heard much bad about the Duramax, but the Cummins straight 6 is where it's at for a light duty truck diesel motor. As for wheel configuration, the dually's are really nice if you have a lot of weight in the back of the truck, such as a truck mounted camper, a heavy fifth wheel or gooseneck. If you're going to pull one of these, the duallys are worth looking at - the extra wheels add a lot of stability. If not, the single rear wheels will work just fine. I definately agree on a long bed. I know it's just a personal opinion, but I just can't see buying a heavy duty truck with a short bed! Good luck and enjoy the truck shopping!

Randy

5. Frosty_03

Randy as you know by my picture I am a Dodge man, however it seems that the GM products are giving more bang for the buck. I know that the dually is good for a more stable ride with the bigger loads and all,so thats is why I am looking at a dually, I did look at the 2500 Dodge 4 door yeasterday and it seems that it is no bigger inside than my 1500, however that Chevy that I test drove has a biggger cab inside. I guess I will just see who gives me the best deal for my dollars. Thats for your advice. :cool: This is why I need the long bed!!

6. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that's pretty! Tell me about it?

I know the Dodges aren't the roomiest cabs, I can't figure out why they don't change that. There's a lot of people that need the extra room and so won't buy a Dodge. I would just have the make the rear seat passengers suffer though, if it meant a Cummins motor. Have fun truck shopping!

Randy

7. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 99 silverado 1/2 ton with a 350 and I havent had problems with not enough power. I actually hauled 4 tons of dirt with it, most on the trailer but some in the bed. I'm sure I could plow with it to but for that use a 93 dodge dakota V6, which is alright but it would be nice to have the 8 cylinder for plowing.