What can I buy

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by weekendDIY, Sep 10, 2004.

1. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

From surfing around this forum I have found alot of good stuff in a very short amount of time.

One thing I found was SpeedZone. I have a Wild Violet problem and from what I can tell this stuff might help control it but I am not sure if I can purchase it myself because I do not have a license. Is that true or can I purchase it. If so, you somebody recommend a site on the net to buy it?

2. mc1169

mc1169 LawnSite Member

From all my research, the consensus seems to be for homeowners trying to control any kind of weeds in their lawn to simply purchase Ortho Weed-B-Gone. I have used this myself along with the Ortho garden hose sprayer and it works beautifully. The bottle of Weed-B-Gone should run you no more then $8 and the sprayer is about the same. This will kill pretty much anything in your lawn except for the grass.

3. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thanks. I did see that in Home Depot but wasn't sure how good it was because all I hear from local guys is "nothing will help wild violet except for RoundUp". I guess for $8 it is worth a try. I have spent more than that on stuff that I knew I didn't need.
  4. Flounder

Flounder LawnSite Member

I have tall fescue and a violet problem as well and Weed-be-Gone and Weed Stop have not been very affective. I went to Lesco yesterday and bought a product called "Drive" made by BASF. The package states it will kill violets but the sales person said he did not have any feedback from guys in the field yet. Most products at Lesco as you can imagine are sold in large quanities for commmercail guys. The Drive product happen to in small package (treats 4000 sq feet). I'm doing my first treatment tomorrow 9/11 and I'll post feedback on how effective it is. Although I'm not sure how long it take to actually work/kill. One nice thing about Drive, you can seed immediately.

Here is some additional info.