1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What can I do about sand and little stones...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

that are left behind when the snow banks melt?

I never thought about that till I went and looked at a customers property, he's my snow customer, he wants me to power rake but it is a corner lot. As the snow banks melt they are leaving quite a lot of sand and crap. I'm thinking either a scoop hand rake or a heavy duty broom. I don't have a power broom and I don't want to run a brand new power raker through it...

Not quite sure what I should do that would be the easiest.
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

a power broom is the only way to go to get the crap out from the snow banks, i have one, working on adding a second one this season too.
  3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Power broom or a lot of very intense and hard raking.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. The powerbroom with the rubber paddled drum is the ONLY way to go. I raked piled, and removed it with flat shovels for years and years (about 15, as a matter of fact. Then, I got the powerbroom and never looked back. It is unbelievable how these things work in ditches.
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Definately the rubber paddled power brooms, work like a charm.
  6. Freddy_Kruger

I think I will stick to doing it by hand this first season. The initial cost of this little venture, coupled with the fact I'm not sure how many customers I get makes we want to pass on that rubber broom. It costs 8 hundred bucks here.

What about a high quality stiff broom for Home Depot? there best broom cost 50 bucks.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, a broom won't do it. A rake is your best bet if you don't have the power unit.
  8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

A rake will work it just takes a little more time and energy.
  9. Freddy_Kruger

No broom then. I got a ship load of flyers and an ad starting near the end of the week if I get a bunch of work I'll get that power broom.

Just so I know that we're on the same page, the power broom I was looking at was about the size of a trimmer but it had rubber on the bottom instead of the bristles.
    I was a little disapointed when I went to go see it, I had a vision in my head of something about the size of a snow blower. But that's a little over board for me I think. I mean if the little one is 800 bucks...
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Steel-tined rakes, lots of hard work!