What can I do? Help me out please.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GreenBlade, Oct 3, 2012.

1. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a mechanic, not a cutter, but when you say "3/4 speed etc" do you mean the engine is at 3/4 speed? If so, that could be part of the problem. You wanna keep the engine and blades runnin at top speed all the time!

2. GreenBlade

GreenBlade LawnSite Member

I'm running full throttle, but 3/4 speed meaning control levers 3/4 the way.

I just finished up mowing today. I was mowing farely thick grass, but nothing I wouldn't think a scag couldn't handle. It was leaving not only strips, but "chunks" so to say of grass. It frustrates me, but then I say I'm not going to take it on carouse I know I'm on their nerves.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Drop your deck to 3" full throttle with a clean deck, if that doesn't do it I have no idea what to tell you. I have a good friend runing a 52" wildcat and it cuts great even with dull blades here in Knoxville. He is like most of us around here and gets a little of everything, fescue, bermuda, zoysia, and lots of crab grass. What dealer did you get it from?

4. GreenBlade

GreenBlade LawnSite Member

I always here to mow high. I bought mine at boones creek out door power. A scag pro gold dealer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Your experience and your expectations are not on the same page...
    I realize its a new mower...I've seen a bunch of new mowers that were not properly adjusted...it won't perform if its out of adjustment...
    Check engine speed...belt tightness...and make sure the blades are RAZOR sharp...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

How is the mower cutting? Were you mowing weekly or bi-weekly?

Michael

7. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

It almost sounds like your deck might have to much pitch in either direction. If you can set a level ontop of the spindle that might be the easiest way to tell, or measuring the blade tip height in the front and the back. Also check that the tire pressure is where it should.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You haven't gone over the entire machine, have you?

You need to do that, before even taking it out for the first cut.

New machines coming off the assembly line today are almost never up to specification.
    Sad, but true.

You have to check them over piece by piece, every spring, every nut, every zerk...
    Check and make sure everything is exactly the way it's supposed to be.

Bring your toolbox.
    You will likely need it.

That's right.
    Check everything else, too.
    Tire PSI as one example.
    e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.

Once it's all up to spec., we can talk again.
    Until then there's not much sense in it, we just don't know...