What can I do with this? Pics

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PTW, Mar 27, 2008.

1. PTW

PTW LawnSite Member

This is my driveway and I have a question for all you hardscape guys. What can I do with this edge? My yard is right down hill and I am afraid the pavement will start pushing off soon. Also what about the concrete pad you see at my shop? It is straight downhill also. Ideas needed please.
  2. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

You can sign the bike over to me and then I'll point you to someone in the phone book :laugh:
  3. PTW

PTW LawnSite Member

Lol, that bike was built by OCC for Dixie Chopper ,(wish it was mine).

Thanks for all the replies on this. Appearantly no one has any ideas.:sleeping:
  4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Easiest thing to do is bring the ground level up to the top of the asphalt.
    As for the concrete you need to construct a wall on the outside maybe 3 or 4 feet from the edge of the concrete a couple of steps could be integrated at the door entrance, after that you could just put soil and maybe a few plants. Both are easy fixes.
  5. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

If it was me I would get some topsoil and bring the grade up. If it was my customer you need a wall at the garage and topsoil along the driveway. What ever you do you better do it soon the asphalt already looks rough.
  6. PTW

PTW LawnSite Member

Ok, thanks. I'll look into a retaining wall at shop thats probably the only way to go there. As for the drive though, it is really a steeper grade than it looks in the pics. Soil will wash right down.

What about like a concrete curb? If I was to do this how deep you think I should dig? All the way to frost line? or maybe just 8-10 inches?
  7. Majesticman

Majesticman LawnSite Member

On the drive bring up the soil and sod it. If you are afraid of the sod slipping use wooden stakes to hold it. It should be OK without them. Wet down the dirt and roll the sod into the mud if you are worried. For a curb call the asphalt guys and have them to put one in. The grass will be fine along the drive as long as people can keep their tires off of it.
  8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

If you decide to go with a curb, I'd stay away from asphalt, you hit it one time withthe truck or trailer tire and it'll never look right again, go with concrete, or there are paver companies making curb products, cut your pavement flat and install base just like pavers, if you cut enough asphalt off it's already there and just spike in some edge restraint.
  9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I'd add some mulch for erosion control and encourage the grasses to grow. May take a while but it wouldn't look awful and you wouldn't have to worry about more concrete. Have you considered gutters on the shop to contain the water into manageable areas? that roof looks like it can make quite a watershed for that small area.