What can I do with this?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GravelyGuy, Jun 28, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Here are some pics of an extremely steep hill. The people want me to take out and kill everything and then make some sort of no maintenance landscape.

The homeowner actually lost a toe from sliding under the mower while trying to mow this:hammerhead:

The people don't want to invest in a retaining wall or anything and naturally they want the job to be as cheap, but effective as possible. I don;t think mulch or rock would not work out here, so they just want me to use ground cover and some plantings that take up a lot of space.

Remember, I need to keep the costs down, or I just won't get this job in this neighborhood.

Here are some pictures, thanks for the help.

1200-1400 square feet here.

Jennifer McGarvey 001.jpg

Jennifer McGarvey 002.jpg
  2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Knock it all down, tear it out, spray it. Prep it and come back in with some euyonomous or vinca? Maybe liriope (but you gotta cut that back once a year). Or cotoneaster?? Seed it in wildflowers?? hehehe
  3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the direction of the hill? Exposure will make a big difference in what will survive here.
  4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

The hill faces the East. I am going to need something that grows rapidly so that they will not have to look at the ugly dead grass since I can't mulch the hill. It needs to fill in quickly so weeds don't take over again.

5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Vinca is probably your cheapest option, or perhaps English ivy, for ground covers. Maybe some form of creeping juniper, if the budget allows, but it establishes slower.:waving: :waving:
  6. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

That hill not that bad. I mow a hill that is over 1 acre and half of that sit at 25+ degree angle.
  7. Plant some fine fescue and don't mow it.......only 1lb of n /m/season
  8. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I like Timturf's idea - no ground cover will establish before the weeds grow in and maintenance will always be required , even after the groundcover is fully established.
  9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here we would cut it as low as possible, spray it with round up, then make a huge flower bed out of it by throwing in some schrubs or flowers depending on what the customer wanted and then using pinestraw as a ground cover. I know alot of guys might not like pinestraw but at least it would hold on that steep of a slope and its cheap.
  10. APV's Mowing

APV's Mowing LawnSite Member

i would love this type of job, go and get 4 bushes and plant 2 on each side of the fence, not too big, and then fill in the rest with w/e they said but the bushes i think would make them happy,,,...