What can I use to get weather radar in my truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Aug 16, 2003.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like this summer has really had it's share of washout days. I was looking at web enabled phones today from Sprint and saw the Doppler radar from weather.com on one and was impressed. Just the thing to have when deciding to sit this one out or go home. Are there any other options for getting the radar while on the road? Is there anything available for Palm or Pocket PC's that's worth looking into? What does everyone use?

2. Mobil laptop internet.

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is that available yet for a laptop???? I know you can have wireless browsing in a phone, and wireless from a central router, but is it possible mobile???

4. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

I call in the office and ask what the radar looks like when Ineed to know ,cheap

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I am usualy in front of the monitor

When it snows it don't matter, not like I am getting out of the truck...........:cool:

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I get the radar on my sprint phone. It's been great, definitely saves a lot of guess work when the rain starts to fall in the middle of the day.

:D

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

mtdmaster,

What make and model phone do you have?

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: go to verizon and buy a LG4400 color phone. once you get the phone go to "get it now" and you can get the weather channel on there with doppler radar updated every 5 min., $4.00 a month i've had it since june and has been very helpful, and awesome. tony

9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Some phones allow you to connect them to a laptop via PCMCIA card and you can dial up to the Interent to check the weather, e-mail, etc.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe its already invented.???

A handheld GPS (small, the size of a calculator) with a color screen 2"x2" that can automatically and FREELY recieve doppler radar with a flashing DOT to indicate EXACTLY where YOU are.

I was thinking maybe a small WATCHMAN, but you'd need CABLE to get the Weather Channel's 100% local channel.

As for the color phones that were mentioned above....Does it cost you per minute to view the doppler? Or is it a fixed monthly fee?

As for the laptop in the truck.....With wireless modem....Do you need a standalone ISP? I use my cable company as my ISP here at home, they DON'T offer Dialup. What happens now? How expensive would a mobil ISP and per minute fee be???

As you can tell, I'd be VERY interested in a low cost way of seeing WHEN it will stop/start snowing/raining. Would have been REAL nice this PAST winter and the whole mowing season SO FAR!