What can mow in reverse

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mag360, Aug 3, 2006.

1. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

One of the things that really bothers me mowing is the row of clippings that accumulates right around where the center and discharge side blades meet while backing up through a section of lawn. This has never been a problem on my 61" advantage deck, it is a problem on my Husqvarna 61".

I am very curious to know if the new velocity deck(with all the extra space in front of the blades) behaves similarly. It's not a huge problem for me but I do think it's less efficient. Thanks for any info you can give me.
    especially on the XR7, Velocity Plus, Triton, Turboforce, or Duramax(grasshopper)

2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

3. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

i have a 3 or 4 yr old toro that does that crap it can be annoying
    never owned any other tractor that did it not even the exmarks

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with frontier lawn on this one!

5. Frontier-Lawn

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Who mows going backwards?

Why is this an issue?

Mower decks are designed to cut grass ONE WAY....directly straight forward.

That being said, of all the mowing equipment I've owned over the years, my XR-7 Hustler deck cuts the best in reverse.

7. mag360

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=63921

Thanks frontier. I am well aware of husqvarnas shortcomings. Check out my demo thread to see what I thought of them in 2004. Since then I've had plenty of issues with cheap parts. The nice thing about cheap parts though is that they are... cheap. For anyone who owns one, keep spare spindle assemblies($112), belts, and idler pulleys and you'll do alright.

To my credit, I believe I was right about this deck: the results are perfect. It has great suction resulting in a perfectly smooth cut unless its wet, then it gets grass buildup unless you use notched foil blades.

I am ready to set up demos for my 06-07 purchase soon, and I only want to include machines that can mow in reverse since this is an efficient way of maintaining your stripe pattern on tightly landscaped properties.

8. Frontier-Lawn

9. mag360

It is a pretty efficient way to keep your stripes without blowing grass into tree rings.

Also, did you buy your super z from power pro equip. in paoli?
    If so, are you happy with them, and do they offer a loaner while you're in for repairs(which hopefully won't happen)?

10. mag360

I like the titanium line. It lasts longer than most others and my guys are pretty rough on it. (also it doesn't cut your hands when you restring like the echo crossfire line we used to use)