What can you feed worms?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 25, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

OK, I was under them impression that you basically fed worms soft easy items to digest like food waste and manure.

I saw tree say that wood waste fed to worms allows for higher fungal growth in their castings?

This leads me to ask... when I get my worms here in the near future hopefully, what all can I feed them and what benefits does the certain items give to the castings, ie. wood = fungus, manure = bacteria.

Looks like, as is with everything else, worms just got more involved and are able to be convinced(?), cohersed maybe?, to produce a specific product as I am learning you can also do with compost.

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Ok for a home owner bed anything goes and there is little need to pre compost. that's just for jo home owner.

for a commercial worm farm????? almost any thing with exception, it needs to get composted first or you will have a lot of problems come up later, predatory mite from tomatoes, flat worms, over heated beds, , , ,...... we are now crossing over the pass the plate line here.LOLOL

9of 10 most popular answers COMPOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. DeepGreenLawn

so split the finished compost, some goes to the lawn, the other goes to the worms. Sounds good, thanks.

4. DeepGreenLawn

Is there a certain compost you want to feed to them or does anything go sort of speak and maybe add a little of this and a little of that to get a finished product to your specific needs?

5. treegal1

at this point because of terms of use we are getting to the made payable part of an email................

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Food. :laugh:

7. DeepGreenLawn

LOL, I understand, I will be in contact with you at the right time.

8. treegal1

dont worry the great worm round up withh begin soon..........

9. DeepGreenLawn

just let me know...

10. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Sorry off topic...

Tree, did you get that PM with the chart? Would you change anything on it? Thanks.