what can you fit on your 12' trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by liltex, Jun 5, 2007.

1. liltex

liltex LawnSite Member

i am looking to buy a new trailer for my service. but my new house we are buying want allow a trailer in the driveway. i will be able to fit a 12' trailer into the garage with the total length being about 15'. i already have a 48 exmark and looking to add a 34. here's what i am looking at:
    1-48 exmark (lazer)
    1-34 exmark (phazer)
    2-21" john deere walkbehind (1)jx75 (1)jx85
    if i get a 8x12 with side gate for the 36 will all this fit?
    what do you fit onto your 12' trailer? show me some pics if possible.

2. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I used to use 12' trailers and remember loading either a 37" walkbehind sideways @ the tongue, and then a 60 or 72" ZTR. Or I'd 1st back a 48 ZTR and swing it it sideways @ the tongue, then back a 60 or 72" ZTR until it touched the 48. With your equipment, put the phaser sideways in front, drive on the 48 ti one side and should have enough room to slide in the 2 21's next to the 48.

Should work-

3. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

i can fit a 61"turf tiger,52" walk behind and two 21's on my 6'4"x12

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I easily fit a 48 WB, 32 WB, 21", WB blower. Still have decent room left.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

If it is a true 12x8, yeah, you can fit more than you've got using side ramps.

my gut tells me you are probably looking at a deck space of 6 foot 5 inches by 12 feet, maybe 6foot 10 inches wide. If it is a single axle, that takes up about 3 feet on the side for the fender. on the other 9 feet, you should have that all in ramps and should have no problem loading the laser and the 34" from the side, and put the push mowers between the wheel wells.

the laser is 75" long (from the exmark website for the 48" cut), that will require the trailer deck to be at least 6 foot 5 wide to get it on there from the side and close the gate.

if you do a tandem axle, it might be tough to go from the side, but again, if it is 6 foot 10" wide, you should be able to get the laser and a push, and the 34" and a push side by side.

If you are getting this trailer built, consider "decking out" the tongue area of 3 feet to have a v-nose trailer. that 3 feet could have your push mowers up front on the tongue area, and pull your laser and others behind it.

good luck !

for the record- my trailer is 6 x 12 enclosed, and only has a 54" opening for doors. I can hold a 52" grasshopper and a push, along with trimmers and all that, on shelves up at the front over the grasshopper deck.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

You CAN get a lot on a 6.5x12 trailer. Here's how mine is set up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last fall:
    [​IMG]

7. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 5x12 which I have a 22" toro and 33' troy built up front and a 54" cub ztr behind them.

8. Harrington Landscape

Harrington Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Erie Pa

I have one 6x12 and I fit 1 48walkbehind 2 21 pushmowers 1mclane edger and 1 60 in lesco all my cans of fuel string trimmer and blower.