What can you get for $70 a month?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Oct 15, 2001.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Today while at my child's pediatrician (who I am friends with) we spoke about lawn services. He asked me what would I charge for the following:

* Weekly mowing (app.. 34 a year on a lawn on a steep hill)
    * Weekly trimming edging, and blowing (a lot of edging)
    * 5 step fertilizing program
    * Aeration, seeding, and fertilizing in the fall and spring.....humm......
    * Leaf pick-up and removal
    * Pre-emergent control
    * Shrub trimming

He is currnetly paying $70 a month for all of the above, boy, what a deal!! He said the guy already aerated and seeded the lawn but did not apply starter fertilizer, he questioned and the guy said he didn't want to "overload" the saw with stuff. :confused: After 2 weeks the seeds were not germinating or growing at all and the guy finally fertilized the lawn.

Obviously I warned him that this guy has the potential to kill his lawn, anyone that applies pre-m then seeds has no clue as to what he is doing. Just found this funny and shows what some of us compete with.:angry:

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

What a deal. You could lowball him and get tons of work for a whopping price of $65 monthly. Let me know if you don't want it, maybe I can drive from Memphis to cut it once a week.

I think you should go measure everything off and come up with a good price. Sounds like he's not happy with the $70 job. Sell from a quality and knowledge standpoint.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

That sounds like a heck of a deal...

Are you saying he recently put down pre-m and just seeded? Do you usually put down pre-m at this time of the year in your neck of the woods?

What do you mean overload the saw?

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

dang My cheapest accounts(1/4 acre) are $85 a month..Thats just the basic mowing with trimming a few hedges included..

5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

His present "man with mower" is like a duck out of water once the the grass has been cut.
    Fertilizer would have nothing to do with whether the seed germinated or not, by the way.

6. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I have one account that is $80 a month...it's just mowing, edging and all that good stuff...All others are at least $100 a month.

7. Unless this guy put down some tupersan that is the problem right there.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

What!?!?! I have little tiny trailer park lawns that I get $80 per month for just mowing/trimming/blowing at $20 each week, 4x's a month.

Any chance the doctor is yanking ya? But you did say he was a friend, so I would think that's not likely.

Sounds impossible.

9. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Who,s telling the truth. HEY tell 'DOC' to show some paper work.Man that,s a good deal.

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

This is a little of topic...... Tuperson seems to work as good as no pre- emergent at all. I have used it on new lawns and have seen it used. crabbgrass always invades the area any way. Its qquite expensive to be quite so ineffective.