1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What casuses a lawn to look like this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Dec 6, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am fairly certain that this is a zoysia lawn and it's located in a transition zone. The lawn is slipping into dormancy, but notice the little green spots. It almost seems to have a pattern to it. What would cause a lawn to have squiggly lines like this? I have nothing to do with this lawn, but it caught my eye and looked intersting. This lawn is picture perfect in the summer.

Zoysia with squiggly green spots.JPG
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Actually that looks more like bermuda. I see that a lot, the first hard frost usually makes them do that, not always... I had a few do that this fall, matter of fact one was so pronounced I almost took a pic to post on here also! It's certianly odd, but I see it every year. One of mother natures mysterys!
  3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Its probably patches of a cool season grass that still hasnt gone dormant yet like the zoysia grass has.
  4. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Worms are natural rototillers,and the weather is cooling down causing them to go deeper and in those areas were its greener.the roots are actually extending deeper trying to suc up all the water they can, making them greener~:dizzy:

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

that is zebra brass :rolleyes:
  6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Got and easy questions?? ~LOL~
  7. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

It probably is a bermuda lawn that was well watered and fertilized going into a moderate frost. I see allot of that in my area. The next good frost will brown it all out.
  8. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I've wondered also what causes this - Maybe we need TimTurf or TurfUnlimited - good bermuda sources.
    One thing it is not, it is not a mix of cool/warm season turf.
    Worms? I guess that was a joke.....
  9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you cut the lawn when it had frost on it? To me it looks like 21" wheel marks with foot prints???
  10. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

essentially all of our bermuda lawns (common bermuda anyway) do this while transferring into dormancy. I don't know of any specific cause as to why the streaking occurs. I've always just assumed it is do to several different factors that we can not control.

I've wondered at times if there is possibly a coorelation between low spots in the underlying dirt, resulting in slightly taller turf in the areas that maintain their green color longer. Or it could possibly be that the areas with high spots in the underlying dirt and are cut "shorter" allow more sunlight to keep the ground slightly warmer in certain areas, further mainting the green color.

Honestly I have no good theory either way. The above are my best guesses.

...would be interested to hear what the exact cause is...