what cause grass blade tips to be yellow/brown??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryPaulD, Aug 8, 2004.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I sharpened my mower blade on a grinding wheel and then finished it off with a knife sharpener. I cut my lawn about a week ago, and yesterday I noticed a bunch of the blades tips are yellow/ tan looking??
  2. Green&Growing

Green&Growing LawnSite Member

Could be "Brown Patch" . If they are watering at night that can cause it, or cool dewy nights and not enough sun during the day. Its a fungus if I remember correctly, but I don't' remember the cure.
  3. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

I'd prolly spray a type of fungicide to help speed up the growth process. Also spray the area surrounding it to prevent further spreading.

Hope this helps,

4. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Was the lawn sprayed with firt or weed controal after you cut? If so that might just be a little tip burn. Next mowing it will be cut off. It will be solved if it does not happen again after the next cut.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My thoughts, if you are talking about the tips and not new growth.

Recommending a fungicide without seeing and possitively identifying the problem is bad advice IMO
  6. Racer99

Racer99 LawnSite Member

I was wondering what type of fungicide are you recommending?:rolleyes:
  7. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I sprayed the lawn with liguid iron mixed with miracle grow lawn the day before I mowed?? Probably is a little tip burn. But I do also water in the evening, and we get dew at night, and this lawn is under a big shade tree? I will cut again soon and see if it comes back.
  8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's the just the tips of the grass and its the whole lawn and not certain area's then there is something wrong with your blades period ( and watering at night will make it worse ). If it's isolated area's of the lawn then yes it's probably some sort of Brown Patch or some sort of insect ( grubs or cutworms ) IMO
  9. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

check your blades. If they are not sharpened properly, you will "tear" the grass not "cut" it.