What Caused This?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Oct 16, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I just got a call from someone that I have done work for in the past(no chemicals). They wanted to know what I could do to fix there lawn:rolleyes:

They said that they had not done any watering and this is what happened. This looks like more than drought stress to me. They wanted to know if it would come back okay. I told them it needed reseeded and gave them an estimate for it and I have not heard back from them.

Ed Combs & Mark T 003.jpg

Ed Combs & Mark T 004.jpg
  2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you check for grubs?
  3. JJG84

JJG84 LawnSite Member
    from OH-IO

Looks like bad soil. I would get it tested if I were you.

If it means that much to you, get a soil analysis done.
  4. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I tried check for grubs and I couldn't find any. I know you are supposed to check where the dead and the green come together, but the pictures pretty much say it all. Almost the entire lawn is dead. I really didn't put that much effort into it because the guys is generally just a PITA, but I figured with the season starting to slow down soon I wouldn't mind doing some work like this.
  5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Drought as with everyone else. Those green spots are where the roots have been able to go deeper but unless they get water, they too, will join their friends. What your client could do is to water about a 4' square area with bath water, washer water, shower water and see if it revitilized in a week or so. He'll have to water slowly and every day for the test. We're in serious trouble in the south. Hopefully there will be some rain heading in since that upper level high has drifted NE and letting some seasonal weather creep into the area.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Sure looks like drought damage to me.....probably low mowing too. Too bad he didn't use some of that lake water on his lawn this past spring/summer. For him to let his lawn go that bad tells me his lawn was not a top priority this year. I hope he lets you seed it this fall.
  7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

This is probabaly the worst drought stress that I have seen around here this year if that is all it is. I will probably be taking over the Fert. next year (if there's any grass left:laugh: )so I'm glad that it is only drought.

People around here don't seem to realize that grass is a living plant and it needs water to survive:rolleyes: Thanks for the help.
  8. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

if it's drought stress, why is the grass green under the tree?

looks like summer patch to me.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Tree=shade=less evaporation rate=Grass has more moisture for longer & able to survive.
  10. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Uh... I don't know about the trees where you live, but usually the turf around a tree dries up first before the rest of a lawn does. Maybe this is because the tree is competing with the turf for the water in the ground? and it wins? Trees evaporate gallons of water everyday.