1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What causes an uneven cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jason1978, Jul 8, 2005.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes LOL!

Actually uneven terrain could do it too but I agree with the first guy:

Bent or blades worn past critical (you'd be surprised the slivers I seen people still call blades), bad deck adjustment (check and double-check this REAL good) and it can also be a worn / broken / missing part on a deck (like one them cotter pins or hitch clips or the steel pins), low tires / air pressure and worn bearings / spindles. Also check the connection(s) between deck and frame, that could get loose where the bolts hook up AND I just realized: Your deck could be missing or have a really worn caster / deck wheel - Also check the bearings on all your riding wheels.

Something is likely loose or worn beyond a certain point - Put your mower on a flat paved surface and take a good look around it all - See if you can see a sag or one side lower than the other.

Last but not least IF you are bagging with a side-discharge, as the bag gets full of wet / rich heavy grass it will add weight to that one side - Empty bag more often.

Good luck.
  2. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

My center blades has been cutting funny for a wile now. But it got worse last week. To the point of not wanting to use the mower. I took the belt off and wiggled the spindle. Sure enough it was loose. Ones I tightened it up I spun the spindle with out anything on it I noticed it was bent. Wallah! now I know why my mower was cutting like crap no matter what I did. The center blade has been wobbling. It also explains why theres so much vibration no matter how balanced the blades were.
  3. lawnjockey75

lawnjockey75 LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what kind of mower you're using, but I've never seen a Scag, Exmark, or Encore deck bend. Now as for Craftsman, or all your other Wal-Mart mowers, they bend at first use. As for missed grass between two blades, that goes for the same. Blades are staggered so that doesn't happen, on high end commercial mowers. In fourteen years of mowing I've only seen missed grass between blades once, the spindle came loose and the blades wore against each other, and noone bothered to say anything about a strange noise.?
  4. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

My biggest problem causing uneven cuts is tire pressures. If you don't run the same psi in both, whether they be both fronts or both rears, the mower (mine) won't cut level. Check them often. Use factory recommended pressures from your book.
    Other LS members taught me that....Thanks guys (& gals)