what causes "burnout?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 21, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

where is "burnout" more likely to occur? is it with the solo operator that has to deal with the : selling of the work. the planning of the work. the actual work itself. the billing of the work. the collections on the dead beats. the maint of equipment. delivering the documentation to the accountant. doing all the banking and paper work. or, is burnout equally as common in the guy who has: employees to help with the labor, and secretaries to handle office work? tell me please. i come accross too many guys that do beautiful work, make good money, but end up with "burn out" and quit.

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

3. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

LMFAO...
    looks like higher maintenance than a business!

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I went through a burn out stage as a solo operator in my first couple of years down in Florida. It was a physical (opposed to mental) burn out for me. I worked my azz off that first year... putting in 10-12 hours per day just about every single day (yes, Sunday too). Along with other problems it almost ended my marriage.

I would say that solo ops would be more susceptible to physical burn out but anyone could suffer mental.......

Now... life is great (back in MD) and my marriage is better then ever.. in case you're interested :)

6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. LawnSite Member

Burnout = Driving too fast or hard for conditions.

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I think any business owner who gets wrapped up too much w/ their business to the point that it runs him/her suffers from burnout to some extent. I usually am in real need of my weeks vacation in July. Actually, I could use 1 week off per month, but it usually doesn't happen. Just remember the importance of family time, and time to enjoy the things that interest you in life. I admit I too am guilty, but have NOT worked a weekend since June (other than small amounts of paperwork & bids) and try to get back to the office daily by 3:30 to get paperwork done & clock out by 5:00. Its made my life a little easier. Today, I had 4 2 man crews out, plus my applicator. Hopefully, we get Saturday off again :cool:

8. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

"what causes burnout"

A V8 and a heavy right foot and a little know how!!!! :blob2: :laugh:

9. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I call it SBS ( Seasonal Burnout Syndrome). I experienced it when I had employees and still experience it now that I'm solo. I believe it's both. Mental and physical. But the mental side has to win out if you want to survive in this biz. I've come to expect SBS every year, normally late July. You just have to deal with it, and suck it up. Wasn't so bad this year. Aug was very cool and had plenty of rain. Every year, I see alot of wannabees drop out in August. Normally pick up as many new accts in Aug and Sept. as I do in April.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

To much work for to little money. This condition leads to depression which in turn can lead to homicidal thought or actions. So take a vacation and raise your rates before you kill some pita LMAO :gunsfirin

Mac