What causes the nylon line to break off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmurphy128, Mar 14, 2004.

1. cmurphy128

cmurphy128 LawnSite Member

What causes the nylon line to break off?

There are several reasons for broken nylon line.
    1.As nylon line becomes old, it will dry out and become brittle. Try soaking the nylon line in warm water. The water will restore flexibility reducing the amount of breakage.
    2. Cutting too closely to hard objects such as concrete or chain link fences with the middle of the line instead of using the tips of the line. Heat from friction can built up inside the trimmer head causing the nylon line to become weak where it exits the trimmer head.
    3. A Poor quality nylon line will not dissipate heat efficiently and cause the line to break prematurely.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Great post! Absolutely right, too! Thanks!
  3. cmurphy128

cmurphy128 LawnSite Member

i have stocked and sold lots of trimmer line, what is every ones thought of the best?, i have my own opinion but whats yours?
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

gator line with the metal inside...can't think of the name. Seems to last a lot longer and cuts smoother
  5. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

oregon nilum starline work great! It also has the meial inside to help dissipate heat
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Gator magnum square
  7. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I always liked the long-lasting quality of Husky Titanium, but pretty blunt. Used 1.05 Echo Cross-Fire for many years. Might try some of the Gator this year. One of the few I haven't sampled.

Wasn't there some kind of "string of the month club" at one time, where they would send diff. samples of trimmer line?
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The round stihl line in .95 worked very well for me last year, I was very impressed , it cut and lasted better than the stihl diamond shape line
  9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Your guy on the trimmer, tapping the head every 20-30 seconds.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. I'm back with the .095 round stock. Much cleaner and crisper of a cut. The star shaped and square stuff just has too much flutter to it. Doesn't cut as clean. Anything over .095 is just too blunt. I ended up giving a half a spool of .105 away, because it just didn't have that crispness to it. I've used Stihl line (.095) in the past, and that worked well. I've used the metal center, and that didn't work all that well, either. It seems to have flaring issues. Right now, I have some brand, I don't know if it's Oregon, or Lesco. It IS green. It has worked real well thus far.