What causes this in mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 1MajorTom, Jul 22, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Here are a couple of photos. It's like some fungus or mold growing in the mulch. How come? What is causing this?

mulch1.jpg

2. 1MajorTom

mulch2.jpg

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Moisture coupled with a good carbon source like mulch equals fungal growth.
    It's pretty common unless you use fungicides on a regular basis.

4. 1MajorTom

Thanks, that's our mulch, and this is the first year we have ever gotten that. I was just wondering about it.

5. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

At the company I used to work it, we called it dog vomit. But it's just fungus enjoying warm and moist condtions. It doesn't do anything other than look ugly thankfully.

6. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

Just saw this on some of our mulch today (newly installed this year) and assumed it was puke because it was right by a Chinese restaraunt.
    Noticed it all over the place after that. Then one of us was brave enough to rake it over and it was full of spores (purple) and you could rake it back into the mulch like it was never there.

7. odorisio

odorisio LawnSite Member

had a friend told me he thought it was dog pee... i grabbed it with my hands and got rid of it.. he just about keeled over :)

but then again im just a country boy, we used to have biscut fights...

8. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

One of the main reasons I do not use hardwood mulches. The dog vomit fungus ( slime mold) spores are almost impossible to remove from a homes siding when disturbed in various and sundry ways.

9. grasswhacker

Correction: it is the shotgun fungus that shoots its spores onto house siding. Still both are problems in hardwood type mulches.

10. grasswhacker