1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What causes this on a boxwood.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by o-so-n-so, Feb 2, 2006.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Why is this boxwood browning out? Only five out of about 40 are doing this. These five are not isolated or planted any different than the others. They are very mature boxwoods. 4' X 4'

boxwood 001.jpg

boxwood 002.jpg

boxwood 003.jpg

boxwood 004.jpg

boxwood 005.jpg
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like desication from cold windy weather and not having enough water to keep from getting blasted.

Katrina? or maybe some unusual cold in your area, or a dry late fall?

We see that from time to time in the winter up here.
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Look to see if the effected plants are planted too deep. If thats not the case dig the worse one up and see what you see, maybe something eating at the roots? If there is no rhyme or reason on the surface look below. Otherwise its MDS (mysterious death syndrome)
  4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

Did Ya Trim Before It Got Cold . I Noticed A Few Of The Ones I Trimmed In The Fall Were Doing The Same Thing Thats Just How Boxwoods Respond Sometimes In The Winter .there Hardy They Wont Die They Will Be Green Again Soon See Ya George
  5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

The ones I have here at the house look like that every year, I've never thought anything of it and simply attributed it to seasonal dormancy patterns, they always look great come spring, and all our plantings are irrigated and fertilized. We are of course in a different climate zone than you are so maybe you guys have experienced some below normal temps this winter?
  6. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

its just from the cold winter winds they will come back just fine maybe one thing for next year would be to wilt proof them it has helped mine alot
  7. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

It's just called "winter burn". Wilt proof or dorment oil will stop it. Here we wrap the shrubs with burlap. I spray with shoprite mineral oil. It's cheap and works excellent.
  8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Any plastic installed under the boxwoods?
  9. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

they likely won't just 'come back' on their own. Be sure buy giving them a boost of "Hollytone" and if their is a mineral difficiency they will green right up and response fast
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody going to mention that these boxwoods have a bug?The bug is not causing the damage..that is from cold.But the bug is there as well.