What causes this (PICS)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grant11, May 13, 2014.

1. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

My mower's cut quality has been going down hill. If the grass is somewhat thick it will leave 'mohawks' in the yard. It seems like the grass between the far left and middle blade are not cutting correctly. The mower is a 2007 Exmark Turf Tracer 52". I just replaced the deck belt and it has brand new exmark high lift blades. I've had to double every lawn today.
    On the left side of the picture is a double cut and the right side is a single cut.
    My customer told me he thought the lawn looked wavy.

[​IMG]

What causes this? mower has brand new deck belt, new blades, blades are tight, deck is clean...

2. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

[​IMG]

another pic of a single pass. its hard to see but there are streaks where the mower didn't really cut the grass at all

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Did it just start doing that with the new belt and blades? Or did you replace those trying to fix the problem? Did it cut like that last spring?

Reason I ask is I bought a brand new Exmark Viking(late 90's) and it always cut like that in wet or thick grass. Had to double cut everything. I sold it and lost my shirt.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like the yard may have a lot of poa anna, which wont cut worth a crap once it starts dying out.

5. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I'm experiencing the exact same problem right now and it just started in the past few weeks. It's odd. I've never seen anything like it before.

6. GMLC

Im going to put this as gently as possible. Both Wright and Exmark decks have a hard time cutting in adverse conditions. Like wet, thick, weedy etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. CreativeLawncareSolutions

I had a 60'' Turf Tracer for 5 years previous. Never had a single problem.

I also purchased new blades today. We'll see if that helps.

8. GMLC

Keep in mind I can only speak from experience in the north east.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Have either of you guys noticed the spindles getting a little noisy? I know exmark spindles SUCK. Other than a spindle starting to go bad (blade wobble) or the pitch of the deck being off I dont have any other suggestions if you already replaced the blades and deck belt. Maybe check the engines rpm's and readjust if you find the rpm's to be down some.

I have noticed some of our lawns this spring have something in them that is all stalk that goes to seed at the top. I am having a slight issue with that crap myself and it is where the blades over lap. Its not bad and if I slow down a little it eliminates the issue.

10. CreativeLawncareSolutions

I think the grass just may even be a tad thicker than normal with that crazy winter and all the rain we've had. Hell, I really don't know. I'm perplexed.

I bought some straight, non hi lift blades today. I've never used blades like those in my life. We'll see what they do.