what causes this

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CLARK LAWN, Oct 5, 2007.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Toro Z500 52" mower this moring i went to remove the blades to sharpen them and 2 of the three blade bolts were siezed in the spindles. When i finally got it apart the threads were all chewed up, i ran a bottoming tap up through them and bought 2 new bolts and they weht right back together no problem. I just sharpened them on tuesday and they came right apart. Can anyone tell me why that happened.
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Too tight? Always use anti seize compound on the threads.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Usually if you've ran into something that binds your blades and even regular wear and tear can tighten them...
    Try not to tighten them on quite as hard when you install them...

I usually pop them on with an air ratchet myself but that could do it too, you want to make sure you hand-thread the nut at least 3 full turns before you hit it with the gun so it don't cross-thread.

Beyond that I put a light coat of used oil on my blades after sharpening to prevent rust, interestingly enough the oil works its way up the bolts, it seems to help.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

they were not to tight they were siezed and when i finally got them out the threads were chewed up. I sharpen every 2-3 days and never had a problem and now 2 at the same time?
  5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Lubrication ='s antiseize compound
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Spindle over heating could cause this.

The belt either too loose or too tight and or worn/under lubed bearings sealed type or not.
  7. jpiwowar

jpiwowar LawnSite Member

Improper grease can enhance the problem caused by the wrong belt tension.