1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What cell phone model?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK this year is actually my first year carrying a cell phone in the field. In the past I've had mixed feelings about it. But I finally decided to in the event of an emergency. The trouble is, unless I'm in the truck I miss all the calls. My cell phone vibrates as it rings, but I never feel it on the mower or while operating 2 cycle equipment.

I assume the rest of you have dealt with this. So what model has a strong alert and is also Sprint PCS compatible?
  2. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

my phone stays in the truck !

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Caller ID?? I used to have voice mail on mine, but disabled it. Was too much of a PITA. Caller ID serves the same function.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I have the full deal. All yuppie funtions included. I can even select how it fuctions based on who is calling. The problem is that nobody can reach me on the job, even in an emegency situation which sort of defeats the purpose of why I decided to take the cell along in the first place. The vibrating alert is not strong enough for me to even feel it going off while operating equipment.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I leave mine in the truck. 95% of my jobs, I'm back in the truck within 20 mins.
    We need to hire Nextel-Alltel-Att-Sprint's advertizing people because they are good. They have convinced all of us that we need to be in constant contact with everybody at all times or else the world will come to an end. If any true emergency is happening there are other professional people that will deal with it anyway. ( fire- medical).
    if you really need to feel the ring put the phone INSIDE your clothes next to your skin and that will help. If you need to be reached a lot, look into a beeper and put that in your clothes. Back it the old days of "car phones",I had one that beeped the horn and flashed the lights.
  6. Outback Designz

Outback Designz LawnSite Member

Friend of mine recommended getting an ear piece. Said you will hear it ring through ear piece. I just know I would get the cord caught and pull it out.
  7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

If im expecting a call I use an earpiece under the peltors
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

my nextel i730 has a pretty strong vibrate function. however that doesn't do much for you since you're a Sprint'er.
  9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I leave mine in the truck with my voice mail. In "old times" I used to clip them to adjustment strap on my cap. I could hear it ring even through my hearing protection. Looked like a man from Mars but it worked. Now that they are smaller would not be so obvious.
  10. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

I use el-cheapo Nokias! In the past I have mowed over my phone, lost various ones in weeds and the like, and had them ripped off, too. El-Cheapo works for me one month I lost 3 phones, I almost got a backpack phone just to train myself, but just started buying the budget phones. If I lose it - whatever...
    My last phone I dropped in the toilet while taking a sheet! LOL..