What changes are you making in 08'

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Jan 18, 2008.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

Just curiuos to the changes youll be making for the coming season.

our changes will be:
    - Credit cards only
    - less employess
    - full service or no service. ie: cut with chemical program spring & fall clean-up.

how bout you guys. tony

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

For many types of retail business, credit cards are a necessity. I accept credit cards but really don't want all my customers using them. I guess someday I'll be able to justify spending several hundred a month on fees.

Do you have a computer program that runs all the CC #'s, or do you enter them manually.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

they are entered manually 50 per week, so the cash flow is a constant.

our rates are very reasonable and costs 200-300 a month, ill gladly pay 200-300 a month if my return is 15xs that.

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have added an office manager. Just bought a new software, an additional work truck for a new crew, new mowers, etc.. Can't wait until we are full blast again at the end of February, I'm tired of only working 40 hours.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I plan on being pretty strict pre-screening, those losers who never paid last year would be on a "payment upfront" plan now, IF I even decided to fool with it. Won't be taking on many project lots for sure.

6. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

If going to be getting a crew running full time during the week and im going to advertise like a crazy mofo in march and april. This year is so far looking to be a good one.

7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Tightening my route (even more) and raising nearly everbody's price.

8. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Incorporated the business.
    Added an employee.
    E-mailing 80% of my bills to customers.
    Added some new equipment.
    Revising my business plan.
    Switched insurance companies.
    Working on my commercial applicators license right now.
    More to come, I'm sure.....

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

E-mailing invoices
    Better Pre-screening
    Tightening the route up a bit
    Better fiscal responsibility

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Raising prices across the board. That will be our biggest change. Our rates will go up about 10%. Which I was a little afraid to do in a questionable economy. But I am convinced we'll do just fine, despite the price increases and not so hot economy. I've been getting good feedback so far too. Just got our first fairly big install job today and I used our new price model to bid that job.

I'll be sending maintenance customers price increases in March.

I'm going to screen calls for installs better. We now have a criteria the caller has to pass before we will come out and give them an install bid. For maintenance bids, we're going to eliminate a few not-so-profitable neighborhoods and areas of town as part of our route.

One of my main goals is also to equip all 3 of my maintenance crews with enclosed trailers instead of the open trailers they have now. Install crews will keep the trailers they have.

We'll hire another irrigation technician. So we'll have two of them FT now.

And finally, some big changes will be coming to our website soon.