1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what changes will u make?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 5, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, the year is about done for alot of us. aside from a few old ladies that i'll be cleaning snow for, i';m packed up and ready for hibernation. i plan to spend the off months, drinking beer, lifting weights, and researching every last subject that pertains to lawn care, landscaping, and customer service. i'll also be taking a "recertification" course as required by the d.e.p to keep my license in good standing.i'll also continue to work on my "perfect lawn machine", this is something i've been working on, and will post pics on march the 15th for all to see. my question is: now that we have completed yet another season, what have you learned, and what will you be doing differently, if anything.do you consider your 2003 season a success, a failure, or a stepping stone.
  2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I will be raising my rates from $60.00 per hour to $120.00 per hour to be more competitive with lawnsite members rates.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Well them I'm going to $240 per hr. I like to be in the upper part of the rate structure. I can't stand to be under bid LMAO

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea gene, i saw the proverbial beating you took for the low priced job. my feelings, don't pay too much attention. i like all these guys, but if they were truly making these "hourly rates", and were booked as solid as they say, they would be in the bahamas by now and wouldn't be interested in freezing thier nuts off cleaning snow or finishing up those last few leaf cleanups. the hourly rate concept only works, when the day is done, and is only valid for that day. there are too many variables in a day to accurately say "i'll make xxx per hr today". anyone who makes $75 per man hr, and has 5 employees, and is booked solid for 10 months a year, is a very, very wealthy man, well, compared to my poor azz anyhow.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Crap If I could make $75 per man hr I'd go solo, work 12 hrs a day for 10 months and and after 3 yrs with a few small investment retire a millionare :drinkup: Dam I gotta rethink this whole bizzness thing now, I think I've been screwing up for the past 25 yrs

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

well have been asked to bid two new condos this week so they even told me the price they were paying LOL

so I bid over each one

don't want anyone saying i lowballed them

one was over by $1,800 and the other $1,200 per year

got the last one fer sure

just love it when they want you.

have a good winter oh and BTW we are getting a cold front

40 for the low mid 60's for the high

time to get out the winter coats

serious thin blood down here
  7. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Well Bobby, my year is not over yet. I still have a family to feed, bills to pay and teens to cover. There's no time for hibernation for me. Currently I'm working on a few small construction jobs. You cannot rely on snow here in south east NE (the hole in the ozone layer is directly above us)

Was this year a failure?: NO.
    Was it a success?: Definitly YES
    Growth 2002 - 2003: ± 110%
    Client retention: 100%
    Started Organic lawn care as an add on to our lawn maintenance.

Was it a stepping stone: (to start off an even more succesfull year 2004) Definitly YES. The foundations are poured!

What have I learned?: My dad always say "you're never too old to learn something new. I learn something new every day.

Have fun this winter
    PC :drinkup:
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Like I say every year....keep better books. I actually bought Quick Books and going to make a better attempt to get numbers in order. This is definetely key. Rates have not gone up in last 4 years.....which is stupid on my part. Should have gone up a little every year instead a lot after 4 years. I will take the risk of losing some clients though. Get equipment expenses under control. Less whiskey drinking and more beer drinking....oh yea...more clients also.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

:eek: I had to go back and read again to see if I missed something.....
    A serious, non-customer related post from Bobbygedd??? :confused:

J/K with ya! Well, honestly my winter plans sound pretty much like yours other than I may get out and hit some of those properties I really want with some high bids to see if any bite. If so this would make the 'cream of the crop' accounts even creamier where I could trade one for another, make more profits and be happier. If none bite, no biggie as long as renewals are good.

Also, trade the beer drinking you're going to be doing for getting my back completely healed up. Until that's done, it's hard telling what changes may be in store for me. I may have to make a major change, but then again it may be business as usual.
    my question is: now that we have completed yet another season, what have you learned, and what will you be doing differently, if anything.do you consider your 2003 season a success, a failure, or a stepping stone.

To answer that, this was my first full time season and to my surprise I have learned a LOT considering I thought I already knew it all. I'll get into that later though. I will spend some of my off time to type a few contributions for beginners and part timers.

Honestly I think 2003 was a failure, a stepping stone and a success for me all in one. I have failed to meet my goals for the year and I feel dang lucky to have done as well as I have given the situations I have faced. The chances I took, choices/changes I made, lessons I learned and the fact that overall it was a solid year makes '03 a stepping stone for me as long as I take a step up next year. I have also had success with many things this year as well. So yeah, it's been all 3!!!
  10. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

This year was a learning experience for me. I learned many things I should be doing with the help of you guys. This year for me was a big success and I want to continue to grow and go legit.