what changes will you make, if any

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 17, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

every year as i grow, i need to change the wording of our contracts just slightly to cover my butt on issues that arise out of the blue. this year one change/addition in wording will be that: in the past i sold fert programs, and called the weed treatments simply" weed control". well, of course i got into it with a client who had a nutsedge problem. they had a big problem with clover and crabgrass, which i eliminated rather quickly, but i explained the nutsedge required a different chemical, used in a different manner, and was not covered with thier basic program. he argued, we argued, and i learned now that i have to add to the contract that nutsedge treatment/control, will be an extra item, and charged accordingly. have you guys found it neccesary to alter your contracts, or policies this upcomming season? and what are they

2. E-9 Lawncare

E-9 Lawncare LawnSite Member

You could also add the Nutsedge as an additional app if you already haven't already. Trying to explain how much Manage costs is a PITA...Good idea though to change the contract...

3. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'll add, "We are not your servants that will respond to your requests at your beckon call. We run a schedule that must be kept and additional work will be added to a schedule and completed at that time. These additonal requests to clean your shed out will be charged on top of your standard mow and trim price and is not included as it has nothing to do with mowing or trimming. Requests to move a freezer upstairs from downstairs will always be denied"

or something like that.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Bobby, perhaps you need to review and/or rewrite your estimate/proposal form?

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

yes and no rod. when giving estimates in february and march, it is impossible to tell wether a person will have a nutsedge problem. asking them does no good, they have no clue what you are talking about. so we start each lawn with a standard program (ferts/weed control/surface feeding insect control) these are the most common neccesary treatments, and i can be sure 99.9% of the time that all properties will need these. but nutsedge is a problem on perhaps only 5% of the lawns we have ever worked on. and in most cases the client understands that these special treatments will be an added fee. this one, however , this past season argued that nutsedge is a weed, and should be included in his "weed control". to avoid further conflict, i will just put "weed control" (excluding nutsedge).

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That will work for that instance/case (nutsedge, that is).

Now what do you do when they consider "weed control" to include the beds, parking area/driveway, walks, etc. as well as the turf area? Or is that already a separate line item/expense you give to the customer in your contract form? I guess what I am saying is they (the customer) can get real picky about these things sometimes.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I have "Turf fertilization and Weed control" That would eliminate the beds and sidewalks, etc.

You could try to explain that it is Weed CONTROL, not weed anhialation.(sp).
    Tell them the weed is controlled...It is right where it should be.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

like grass scapes, the contract involving these programs specifies turf areas only. now, for customers that sign up for, and pay extra for any weed control in beds, it would not be a problem, i'll gladly use the non selective on anything that grows in the beds