1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What chem for weeds when temp 90+?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DLS1, Jul 13, 2006.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Need to spot spray a few yards in July but it is in the 90's before I get out to spray. Is their a weed killer you use when temps in the the 90's or you always spray in the morning when it is cooler?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The only way to do it is shop hard for the weeds and spray JUST the weeds. making slashes on the grass will certainly show up in 90 degree temps. It is just too much stress.
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Spray in the morning when it is cooler. Stear clear of esters or phenoxy compounds. These are most likely to burn.
  4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

good information from upidstay & ground control. We pull the plug on spraying and app just dry chemical at approximately 85 degrees, depending on the dew point. In most cases the weeds can go until the next round.
  5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the customers I have want the weeds gone now and not in the fall. I have customers who were ex Chemlawn, Weedman, etc. that were paying around $5.00 1/k and I am charging more. They are expecting better service and that includes getting rid of weeds in the summer. I will just keep spraying in the mornings before it hits 85 degrees.
  6. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

What weeds are you talking about? Broadleaf? Is is all cool season grass in Kansas City? I have heard people talk about how fast Speezone is, but any 2-4,d product is showing visible results in 1 to 2 hours on many weeds when the temp is over 80 and the soil moisture is good. You only need the lower recommended rates.
  7. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

check out quicksilver...
    you can look at the label at cdms
  8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You can use Surge up to 90 degrees.
  9. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the same boat as you bro.. my distributer told me that I'd be fine with trimec plus as long as I do the treatments early enough in the morning that the lawn was dry by the time temps get up to 85 or so.... if anyone has experienced otherwise, I'd be interested to hear about it..
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have experienced seeing sections of lawn turn brown and stay that way for 3 to 4 weeks from spraying and then having hotter temps. Even if the stuff IS applied during cooler temps, allowed to dry, and mixed very mild, 90 degree temps of even close is NOTHING to mess with. Even with Surge, as the label reads up to 90 degree temps, I think 3 way says the same thing. Don't be fooled, just because the label says up to these temps, doesn't mean that it's safe. For me, anything over 80 or so,....all bets are of. They can wait. Now, if there are jst a ew here and there. I just spot with a backpack or PG bottle. This way, I can focus on just the weed and not damage any surrounding turf. I just don't like to do any spotting with 11 ft. wide slashes from the sprayer in temps like this.