What chemical is cost effective to spray for grubs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by stumpman, Jan 19, 2012.

1. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

That's bc of the dominion not bc of the bifen. Grubs are not on the bifen label...
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. REASON18

REASON18 LawnSite Member

Stumpman -- where you at in Central NC

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Gregory makes a good point. Our local turfgrass entomology professor says bifenthrin and all the other pyrithroids do not penetrate that soil at all. They are useless for grubs.
    For partly or fully grown grubs, you need to use sevin or Dylox. The better course of action are the preventatives which kill new grubs soon after the eggs hatch. Merit and the gerneric imidicloprids. And Acelypryn (which also kills some types of surface insects). Also Acelypryn has very low human toxicity (chloranthraniliprole). It is available as Scotts Grubex. Cost is reasonable.

http://www.supremeturfproducts.com/acelepryn.html

Cost is about $37 per 50 pound bag.
    http://www.steveregan.com/0-0-7-0.067-DUPONT-ACELEPRYN-50-LB.html

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Benfin (talstar) does zero for grubs..Now Dominion 2L works mint!!! It is merit just cheaper and better.

5. stumpman

stumpman LawnSite Member

I'm in Sanford.

6. REASON18

REASON18 LawnSite Member

You are probably too far out. We have a supplier in Garner (South Raleigh) that I use that has been great to deal with. Very competitive pricing.

Here is the info in case you come up this way...

Green Resource
    http://www.green-resource.com/

My sales rep is Chris Pearson and is a wealth of information. His email is: cpearson@green-resource.com

7. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

imidichloprid (Merit) is still the best method of killing Grubs overall. Dylox if you need a quicker knockdown. Merit can also be used as a curative control. Grubs will quit feeding almost immediately, but adults will take a long time to die.

8. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Brother I have no idea how this stuff works on the turf. I just know that Merit is labeled for them and is suppose to do a good job according to what I have from others but the guy asked for cheap and I use the merit for shrubs so I know it is cheap and that Ric said his rate (which I would assume would be the same for this guy if he is spraying lawn, at least closer than mine who only treats shrubs would be better) is less than $10 a acre for bifen and it combined, so the OP should be able to spray a much cheaper without the bifen.

If his question was on what does the best job overall and not concerned with price... I guess I would of said Arena as it is suppose to be great from my understanding.

9. oxk18

oxk18 LawnSite Member

10. mspglac

mspglac LawnSite Member

Merit to prevent....

Dylox on anyone who already has them.