What chemical to use

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Premo Services, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

This question is for my own property.

I have areas where the owner before me started planting lillies. I think they are called tiger lillies. What could I use to get rid of these pesky plants?? I have dug out the area for years now, and a little return the next year. The dam bulbs are real small and hard to get all of them I guess.:angry:

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

If it's in grass, maybe Dimension .21% with fertilizer to help grass green up. Not sure if any pre-emergents would work with bulbs, just making a suggestion. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Alex

3. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

tiger lilies are next to immpossible to kill try roundup of some nasty non-selective. we had them around our grage and had to excavte for a project and the were buried about 3ft and still came back. you could just keep mowing them over

alex

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

A good systemic, like glyosphate, works only on the growing plant. This has to be applied to each individual plant.
    Dependent upon what is labelled for use in your state, don't overlook 2,4-D. Perhaps a secondary effect is control of these bulbs. Where I would start first is the local co-op extension agent. Describe your problem and see what they say

5. have no idea, but if difficult to kill, start applying chemical when shoots first emerge. plant proably is weaker at this time, plus maybe some evironmental stress might help. (frost)

Just a thought, check it out

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:D
    Thanks for the replies, I am stumped with these. I will try the co
    op extension. I am sick of them. The other owner had them in several areas and I have been working on the one place so I could put other plants there.

7. Simple 2,4-D will do the trick, but it will take multiple apps.