What chemicals should i use

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tlawn86, Nov 13, 2009.

1. tlawn86

tlawn86 LawnSite Member
    from Katy

WhAT chemicals should i use to spray the weeds in flower bed that wont kill flowers and the shrubs.

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

If the weeds are monocots, use Fusilade II.
    If the weeds are dicots, use Lontrel.
    Read the labels..........carefully.
    I don't recommend using spreader-sticker with either product for the results you're looking for.

And most importantly, PLEASE, if you don't have a pesticide license in the state you're working in...

GET ONE FIRST!

3. tlawn86

tlawn86 LawnSite Member
    from Katy

I do have herbicide license. is there any cheaper herbicide i could use. also what would be good to spray weeds around knock out roses and crepe myrtles.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

My preference for herbicides around woody shrubs is a mix of Ronstar and Scythe applied as a directed spray. Reward is also good. You will not catch me applying glyphosate around desirable plants unless it is in a way there is zero chance it will contact them.

5. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I spray around plants and flowers all the time right up to them and have no issues. I am sure there has been times I have contacted foliage and killed some leaves, but never a whole branch. As far as around bulbs, good luck trying to kill them. Bulbs have a lot of energy stored in them, so even Roundup, CRossbow, 2-4,d , which may hurt the flower, long term won't do a thing to the bulb.

I want to add I am not promoting spraying close to plants and flowers, but I have enough confidence and I am the only one who sprays and I keep the nozzle only a couple of inches from the ground, use ad buff and avoid spraying in wind. I can spray right up to lawn edges in beds within a 1/2 inch and get no kill off of bentgrass/rye.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. greendoctor

Different plants react to glyphosate in unique ways. The effect of glyphosate is also cumulative. I prefer to play it safe. Many of the warm season shrubs are particularly sensitive.

7. tlawn86

tlawn86 LawnSite Member
    from Katy

what mixure do you use with ronstar and scythe. also what type of ronstar.

8. greendoctor

Label rate of Ronstar Flo is from 1.8-2.8 oz per 1000 sq ft. Yes Ronstar is more than a granular herbicide. When applied as a directed spray, it is an effective tool for weed control. Note that Ronstar is actually a contact herbicide. The way it works as a preemergent is to burn up shoots and leaves as they emerge through treated soil. Scythe is added at 2% of application volume. Sorry I do not have a per gallon mix rate for you. I use tip and wand combinations made to apply set volumes per 1000 sq ft.

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

It's interesting that you brought that up. I was reading an article not to long ago that was saying that they have found spraying glyphose close to and maybe accidently on the base of trees is causing the bark to rupture(not necessarily at the point of contact), similar to freeze damage.We've always been told "As long as you keep it off green,leafy tissue." They're finding that is not so true...

10. greendoctor

This is especially true when the bark of trees is not fully mature. Many people do not appreciate how absorbent a tree truck is. I do, because of how I utilize this property to kill unwanted trees. Even so called contact herbicides will damage a tree trunk.